chapter 3: unforgivable

your pov

the next morning, the gryffindor fourth years are all excited since we have our first defense against the dark arts lesson. we've heard some good things about moody. as we walk to class, ron tells hermione, harry, and i about george and fred's recap of their class with him, and how cool it was. i'm having a hard time believing it, my father's told me about mad-eye, and he sounds like a lunatic to me. we takes our seats, mine next to hermione, and moody writes his name on the chalkboard.

"Alastor Moody. Ministry malcontent. And your new defense against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?" the room is silent as everyone stares at him, some looking frightened and others looking curious. i think im in the middle. "When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?" hermione raises her hand.

"Three sir." she says, not sounding as confident as usual.

"And they are so named?" moody asks.

"Because they are unforgivable. the use of
any one of them will..." hermione says, but moody interrupts her.

"Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban. Correct. Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different!" moody shouts, turning back to the chalkboard. "You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!" i'm confused for a second, then i remember his magic eye. he must be able to see through things.. that's unsettling.

"Aw no way, the old codger can see out
the back of his head." seamus whispers. suddenly, moody turns around, throwing chalk at seamus in anger.

"and hear across classrooms!" moody adds, still fuming. "So, which curse shall we see first? WEASLEY!" he slams his hands down on rons desk. i peer over to where he and harry are sitting, and ron looks almost terrified.

"Yes..." he says hesitantly.

"stand," ron slowly stands up, avoiding eye contact. "Give us a curse."

"Well, my dad did tell me about one... The imperious curse."

"Ahhh yes, your father would know all about that. Gave the ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why." moody says, marching back over to his desk. he pops open a jar with spiders in it. he lifts out one onto the palm of his hand.

"Hello. What a little beauty. engorgio!" the spider grows to the size of moodys hand. i shudder, i don't really like spiders. "imperio!" he directs his wand toward dean and neville's desk, and the spider jumps onto it. they back away, and moody sends it onto crabbe's head. i laugh along with the rest of the class, but i can see hermione shaking her head beside me.

"this isn't funny." she mutters under her breath.

"Don't worry. Completely harmless." moody says, dangling the spider over top of ron's head. i stop laughing, poor ron, he hates spiders.

"But if she bites... she's lethal!" moody laughs maniacally. Draco laughs as ron cowers away from the spider, but then moody sends it right onto dracos nose.

"What are you laughing at?" moody says as draco shrieks. harry starts clapping, and all the gryffindors are laughing again, even me.

"Talented isn't she? What shall I have
her do next? Jump out the window?" moody sends the spider into the glass on the windows. "Drown herself?" the spider is now dangling over a bucket of water. everyone goes silent as the demeanor of the classroom completely changes. moody slowly directs the spider back onto his hand.