chapter 2: back to hogwarts

your pov

i'm sitting in a train compartment with hermione, holding my new kitten.

"oh, she's absolutely adorable! what's her name?" hermione says excitedly as she pets her.

"snow," i tell her with a smile. "isn't she little?" hermione nods.

"can i hold her?" she asks. before i can reply, the train starts to move. wait a minute..

"where are harry and ron?" i say.

"i don't know.. maybe they're in another compartment.." hermione says, sounding unsure.

"let's hope so." i tell her. when we finally arrive at hogwarts and walk into the great hall, harry and ron are still no where to be seen. the teachers notice this as well, i can see them whispering to each other.

"ok, now i'm worried." i say to hermione.

"i hope nothing bad happened to them." she says, sounding concerned.

~time skip~

that night, hermione and i are sitting in the gryffindor common room, discussing classes, and trying not to worry about ron and harry. suddenly, the door opens and harry and ron walk in. hermione and i jump up off the couch.

"where have you two been?! we've been worried sick!" i exclaim, walking over to them.

"it's a long story." harry replies.

"good thing we've got all night then." hermione says, holding snow.

"alright then." ron says, sitting down. him and harry tell us all about how the platform closed, then they drove the flying car to school, crashed into the whomping willow, broke ron's wand, and got yelled at by mcgonagall and snape.

"wow. remind me again how you didn't get expelled?" i ask once they've finished.

"it's a mystery to me. listen, we've had a long day, i don't know about harry but i'm exhausted." ron says, harry nods.

"yes, go get some rest. we have herbology first thing tomorrow," hermione says.

"goodnight you two." i say.

"goodnight." the boys reply as we go our separate ways to the dorms.

~time skip again~

it's the next morning, and we're in herbology. in standing next to ron and harry, draco stand diagonally from me. i was looking forward to this class, until i found out we had it with the slytherins.

"Morning, everyone! Good morning, everyone!" professor sprout says.

"Good morning, Professor Sprout!" everyone says.

"Welcome to Greenhouse Three, Second Years. Now, gather around, everyone. Today, we are going to repot Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake root?" professor sprout says. hermione raises her hand. "Yes, Miss Granger."

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been Petrified to their original state. It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it." hermione says.

"Excellent! Ten points to Gryffindor! Now, as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings their cries won't kill you yet. But they could knock you out for several hours, which is why I have given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection. So, could you please put them on, right away? Quickly! Flaps tight down, and watch me closely. You grasp your Mandrake firmly, you pull it sharply up out of the pot...Got it? And... now you dunk it down into the other pot and pour a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm." professor sprout says. i look over at neville, who looks a little queasy.