chapter 7: mountain troll

harry's pov

that halloween night, ron and i go to the banquet hall. as we sit in our usual spot, we notice empty seats across from us.

"where's (y/n) and hermione?" i ask. something must be wrong. (y/n)'s favourite holiday is halloween, there's no way she would miss this.

"Parvati Patil said that hermione wouldn't come out of the girl's bathroom. She said that she'd been in there all afternoon...crying. (y/n) stayed there to comfort her." neville answers. i shoot a glance at ron. he shrugs. suddenly, professor quirrell comes running into the great hall in panic.

"TROLL!" he screams. "T-TROOLLL IN THE DUNGEON!!" Dumbledore rises from his seat in concern. Everyone looks at Quirrell and he stops and there is utter silence.

"Thought you ought to know." quirrell says before passing out. The room is silent for a moment, then everyone freaks out, screaming and running.

"SILLLLLEEENNNNCEEEEE!" dumbledore shouts. everyone stops.

"if Everyone will please, not panic. Now, Prefects will lead their houses back to the dormitories. Teachers will follow me to the dungeons." dumbledore says.

the prefects stand up. i hear percy, "Gryffindors, keep up please. And stay alert!" this doesn't make any sense. isn't hogwarts supposed to be safe?

"how could a troll get in?" i ask ron.

"Not by itself," he answers. "Trolls are really stupid. Probably people playing jokes." i stop. oh no. i grab ron and pull him to the side.

"what?" he asks.

(y/n) and Hermione! they don't know!" i reply. we rush of to the girls bathroom.

your pov

i've been sitting inside this stall with hermione all afternoon. while i'm glad i can be there for her, i'm starting to get hungry, and she finally seems to be calming down.

"hermione," i say. "how about we go get some food? i'm sure we can make it to the great hall in time!" she looks up at me sadly.

"oh, it's halloween, your favourite holiday. i've made you miss it." she says. i give her a hug.

"friends are more important than some stupid holiday." i tell her. she stands up.

"thank you," she says, and opens the stall door. "let's go catch the end of halloween dinner." she smiles at me for the first time all day. i smile back. but when we step outside of the stall, we see a huge troll, just standing in the bathroom. it raises its club and smashes the top of the stalls.

"AAAHHHH!!" hermione and i scream, trying to get out the way. suddenly, i hear a familiar voice.

"(y/n)! hermione! move!" harry shouts.

"help! help!" hermione screams. the boys start throwing wood pieces at the troll.

"Hey, pea brain!" ron yells, throwing a piece of wood and hitting the troll on the head. Hermione and i escape from the stalls to under a sink, but the troll sees us and tries to smash it. It cracks the sink and barely misses us.

"Ahhh! Help!" i scream. harry gets out his wand. He runs forward and grabs the troll's club, and is lifted up.

"Whooa! Whoa, whoa!" he exclaims. He lands on the troll's head, and is hurled forward, then back, and his wand shoots up the troll's nose.
"Ew." ron says. The troll snorts, and whips around. it gets Harry off its head and is holding him by one leg, upside down.

"Do something!" harry yells. It gears up its club and swipes at Harry.

"What?" ron yells. the troll swipes at Harry repeatedly.

"Anything! Hurry up!" harry answers.
Ron grabs his wand. Hermione waves her hand.

"swish and flick!" i yell to ron.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" ron shouts. The club is lifted out of the troll's hand and hovers above its head. The troll looks up, confused, just as the club comes crashing back down. It hits the troll's head and the troll wavers, then drops Harry, and slowly comes crashing down, Hermione and i approach it carefully.

"Is it...dead?" i ask.

"I don't think so. Just knocked out," harry says. He grabs his wand out of the troll's nose. "ew. Troll bogies." Harry wipes his wand on his robes. Suddenly, McGonagall, Snape and Quirrell come rushing in. They all gasp at the knocked out troll.

"Oh! Oh, my goodness! E-Explain yourselves, all of you!" mcgonagall exclaims.
"Well, what it is..." ron starts to say, but he's interrupted.

"It's my fault, Professor McGonagall." hermione says. we all stare at her.

"I went looking for the troll. I'd read about them and thought I could handle it, But I was wrong. If Harry, ron, and (y/n) hadn't come and found me...I'd probably be dead." hermione says.

"Be that as it may be...it was an extremely foolish thing to do." mcgonagall says. i notice Snape's leg, which has the trousers torn and a large cut on it. Snape notices me looking and covers it up, glaring.

"I would have expected more rational behavior on your part, Miss Granger. Five points will be taken from Gryffindor for your serious lack of judgment," mcgonagall says. "As for you three, I just hope you realize how fortunate you are. Not many students could take on a fully grown mountain troll and live to tell the tale. Five points...will be awarded to each of you, For sheer dumb luck." Snape and McGonagall leave the bathroom.

" Perhaps you ought to go...M-might wake up...heh." quirrell stutters. we all leave the bathroom and go back to the Gryffindor Common Room.

"Good for you to get us out of trouble like that." harry says to hermione once we arrived.

"Mind you, I mean, we did save her life." ron says.

"Mind you, she wouldn't have needed saving if you hadn't insulted her." i reply. Hermione looks at Ron.

"What are friends for?" he says smiling. we all laugh, even hermione. she seems to be feeling a lot better.