COCCHAM

The ride to Coccham was more than unpleasant. It didn't take long till Shaylee realised that she should have accepted the cart. Even if it meant that her ego would have been damaged. After a half-hour, every step her horse took resulted in sharp pain in her shoulder. And this pain did not just stay there; it echoed in her entire body. They made a short break, so they did not have to eat their lunch on the back of a horse. After that short break, Shaylee could barely make it back up on her horse. She probably only managed it because Finan helped her. When she thanked him, he only waved aside and smiled at her knowingly.

Usually, she enjoyed riding a horse very much. She would have loved to travel the country, get to know it and get a feel for the people that lived in it. But like this, she only prayed that she would arrive as soon as somehow possible. Now, she was somewhat slumped on her horse and had to focus on not losing her balance. Her whole body felt numb. Only the wound on her shoulder burned like fire. So when Uhtred bridled his horse to ride next to her, it was hard to look up.

Uhtred smiled at her and pointed to the horizon: "Do you see down there? That's Coccham."

Shaylee followed his gaze and saw a little village surrounded by wooden walls. She saw the village that she hoped would be her home one day for the first time, and a smile appeared on her face. But it was not only the sight of Coccham that brought a smile to her face. The main reason was that she knew that the time on the back of her horse got to an end. A thought that genuinely brought a smile to her lips.

She wanted to enjoy the moment when she rode through the gates of the town for the first time. But looking back at it, she could barely remember it. It was all just a blur. When she finally got off her horse, she barely had touched the ground when her legs began to shake. She stumbled and would have fallen to the ground. But two strong grabbed her and held her upright. Shaylee's world was turning around her, and nausea rose up in her. She had to close her eyes, and it took her a second to make the world stop turning. Then she raised her eyes and looked into the worried face of finan. His eyebrows rose questioningly, and Shaylee tried her best to smile at him. But all she managed she was to make a grimace.

"I might have taken the option of the cart.", she moaned quietly.

Finan chuckled, but Shaylee could hear worries in his voice as he dryly asked: "You think?"

They were standing on a square right in front of a big house. This had to be the palace of Coccham. The home of Uhtred. Finan put his arm around her shoulders and helped her walk over the square and through the hall's door. Uhtred had already entered the hall. Now he turned around as he heard them enter the hall and spread his arms invitingly: "Welcome, home ..."

He did not finish the sentence. The smile on his face disappeared as soon as he saw that Shaylee was supported by Finan. This was the only reason why Shaylee was still standing. On Uhtreds side, Shaylee could adumbrate another person. But Shaylee could not perceive the face of the person. She could tell that it had to be a woman because she wore a long dress and had long red hair. She could hear something being placed on the table with a clatter, and the woman hurried around the table.

As she got closer, Shaylee could see that the woman was about her age. Maybe a few years older. She had friendly features, but at the moment, she eyed her sternly. She put her hands on Shaylees shoulder and scrutinised her closely.

"What happened to her?" she asked as she put her hand on Shaylee's forehead. "Jesus, you are burning."

Finan told her in short sentences about the battle and her wound. "Why on earth was she riding a horse?" the woman asked vigorously. Shaylee laughed dryly: "Mainly because of her ego."

The woman looked down at her and asked, just as dry: "Does it hurt?"

"Enough that I will not get on a horse anytime soon.", Shaylee mumbled and followed her to a bench nearby. Finan stayed at her side and helped her to sit down. Shaylee smiled gratefully at him and then to her uncle, who still looked at her a little worried. He had come around the table and had knelt down in front of her with one hand on her knee. Shaylee wanted to reassure him and put her hand on his: "Don't worry. Just give me a minute to catch my breath."