Chapter Fifty-Three

***
trigger warning for self-harm (not in the spirit of self-harm)
***

"We are like islands in the sea,
separate on the surface
but connected in the deep.
"
William James

»»»«««

»»»«««

"I'm so sorry, Bri," Stefan chokes out as he exits the school building, on his way back to Klaus, "I'm so sorry."

The younger Salvatore pauses, leaning against a wall and staring at the floor until tears are no longer forming.

A warm sensation against his cheek prompts Stefan to look up, but he's quick to return his gaze to the floor when he meets the leaf green eyes of a semi-translucent Brianna Byrne.

"Shush now, Stef," Bri murmurs as the vampire stifles his cries, her hand pressed against his cheek as she tries—futilely—to wipe his tears away, "I understand you want to keep us all safe. Just remember we want the same for you."

Stefan shakes his head, frowning deeply as he swallows back his emotions.

"Things will get worse before they get better," she tells him, one hand still on his cheek while the other moves to where her necklace hangs around his neck, "You'll be seeing us very soon, but if you need me before then, hold onto this gemstone and think about me as hard as you can."

"We don't deserve you, Bri," Stefan says with a rueful huff of laughter.

Bri lifts herself onto her toes, and Stefan can faintly feel her lips pressing against his forehead for a second before she's staring up at him warmly, "There is no such thing as being undeserving of love and compassion. Look after yourself, Stef."

And then, she disappears, leaving the brunet vampire alone—calmer than before, feeling slightly less guilty, but still hating himself and Klaus.

✯✯✯

Damon carries the dead redhead upstairs and into her room, laying her down on her bed before disappearing downstairs to put the kettle on and pour himself a glass of bourbon.

Pulling his phone out, he shoots a message to Alaric.

To: Ric
Stefan was at the school with Bri
She was dead, woke up, and then he killed her again

From: Ric
How did he get her?

To: Ric
She appeared where he and Klaus were
That's where she was today
Stefan decided to use her to send a message

From: Ric
A message?

To: Ric
That he doesn't need any saving
And to let him go