Chapter Thirty Five

"Strength and growth
come only through
continuous effort
and struggle.
"
Napoleon Hill

After dropping Skylar off at school, Damon returns to the Boarding House, and takes a flamethrower to Elijah's body.

"Mmm, burning flesh," Katherine comments as she ambles down the stairs to the cellar, "If you're trying to get the dagger back, you're wasting your time. He's indestructible."

"No kidding," Damon nearly snarls, although burning the Original releases some of his frustration, "How do you know so much about Original vampires?"

"I did spend 500 years running from one," Katherine shrugs, motioning for Damon to hand the flamethrower to her.

As soon as the device exchanges hands, the vampire doppelgänger repeats Damon's actions, releasing her frustrations in the form of burning Elijah.

"You just said this was a waste of time," the raven haired vampire states confused.
Katherine smiles, "Yeah, but I wanted to take my frustration out on him; because even if he does wake, at least his usually impeccable suit has been ruined."

Damon smirks, "It's funny how well we see eye-to-eye when it comes to Bri."

"I don't like that you're in love with her," Katherine starts as she places the flamethrower down, "In fact, I hate it and I think she deserves better; but at least I know you'll protect her, and help her."

"We all would," Rose states from the stairs to the cellar, her arms crossed as she leans against the wall, "Trevor and I may not be in love with her, or have raised her, but we both want to protect and help her."

Trevor appears at his best friends side, and nods in agreement.

Katherine nods, pouting before asking, "I have one question for all of you; Would you put your lives on the line for Brianna Byrne? Would you die for her? Because she would die for each of you, of us. I need to know if you're as committed to her as she is to you."

"She's saved my life multiple times, and in more than just one way," Damon responds earnestly, "So yes, without a doubt."

"She saved Trevor from Elijah, and she saved me from a werewolf," Rose says as she walks down the stairs, Trevor following close behind and adding, "Of course we'd return the favour."

Nodding her head in acknowledgement, Katherine moves to go upstairs, Damon's arm whipping in front of her and stopping her as he says calmly, "You didn't answer."

"Bria is everything, and I'm a survivor," the vampire doppelgänger responds plainly, "If it ever comes down to it, I'll give her my title without hesitation."

Slowly, the vampires trickle back upstairs, and continue their research.

"I don't want them to put themselves at risk to protect me," Bri states with determination, "I won't let them die for me."

"They don't want you to do the same for them," Nattmara responds, and Bri believes that if the voice had a body, it would be wearing a smile.

"It's an endless cycle of putting lives at risk," Bri realises as her environment shifts from the Salvatore Boarding House's cellar to the endless darkness from before.

"Indeed it is," the disembodied voice echoes through the endless darkness, "And while there is no end to the cycle in sight at the moment, you are the only one that can change that."

"How?"

✯✯✯

The sun sets, and the Martin witches sit at a table, Bri in Jonas' line of sight in case she wakes during their spell.