Chapter Thirty One

"Remember,
teamwork begins by building trust.
And the only way to do that
is to overcome our need
for invulnerability.
"
Patrick Lencioni

Damon pulls up to Bri's house, climbing out of his car and walking up to the door.

Rapping against the door, the vampire waits patiently for a minute before Bri opens up, Skylar standing behind her, both ready for the Historical Society's Tea Party.

Bri and Skylar both have their hair up, and adorn dark skinny jeans. Bri wears a beige turtleneck sweater and black open toed wedges, while Skylar wears a blue and white v-neck long sleeve shirt, and a pair of bright orange and blue sneakers.

 Bri wears a beige turtleneck sweater and black open toed wedges, while Skylar wears a blue and white v-neck long sleeve shirt, and a pair of bright orange and blue sneakers

"The two of you are dressed both the same way, and like complete opposites," Damon remarks as a greeting.

"I swear we didn't coordinate," Bri responds with a laugh, "but when we were both ready and came down for breakfast, we had a good laugh."

Damon grins at the two as they exit the house, Bri locking the door behind them before making her way to her Chevy Impala.
"Do you want to drive?" Bri asks the vampire, whose eyes widen in shock before he rapidly nods his head.

Bri hands her car keys to Damon, her and Skylar quickly taking their seats.

"So, Elijah, the Original in town, will be there?" Skylar asks, Bri nodding in confirmation.

"Did I tell you that John gave me a weapon that can take down an Original?" Damon questions as they near the Lockwood mansion.

"No," Bri responds with a slight glare, "but I don't completely trust him, so we shouldn't act on or with that yet."

Damon nods in agreement, and pulls up in front of the Lockwood mansion.

The vampire climbs out of the car, but Bri waits for a moment.
"Skylar," she says softly, turning to the teen, "your dad might be here, and if he is, I don't want you to interact with him in private at all. If you want to stay with me, that's completely fine, but that means you'll come across Elijah too."

"I'd prefer running into Elijah," Skylar states without hesitation, and the two climb out the car.

Damon smirks, hiding his pride as Skylar steps past him.

"She's tough as nails," the vampire comments to the banshee, his hand on the small of her back as the two follow close behind the teen.

Carol Lockwood spots the trio walking up to the front door, and goes to greet them.

"Hello Bri, Damon," Carol greets kindly, "It's good to see you two."

"It's good seeing you too, Carol," Bri says with a polite smile, before motioning to the teen now standing beside her, "This is the newest resident of Mystic Falls, Skylar Martin. Skylar, this is Mayor Lockwood."