05| We Did It

15th August 2017

15th August 2017

P R E E T I

"This is so not good", I said whilst peeking out through the curtains when the Bihu dance performance started.

"And why not?", Abhishek asked.

"Look at the crowd! We've never had such a big audience in like what? A million years?", I stated and turned around to face Abhishek.

"Well that's because Kolkata's favourite couple is going to dance tonight", Aisha said in a sing-song voice. She was sitting on the chair near the table which had a microphone placed on it, while Abhinav stood behind her. I glared at her and said, "We are not a couple!". I could feel a bit of heat rising to my cheeks and when I looked at Abhishek, he was already blushing a deep shade of pink but, no words came out of his mouth.

"What are you two doing in the announcement room? Go to the backstage now!", Mrs. Sharma ordered as she entered the tent.

"But our dance is at the last so, we can at least stay here a bit longer?", I said while giving her my signature sweet smile.

"No. Your dance performance is our closing act so I want both of you to go backstage and go through the steps several times. You know I want it to be perfect", Mrs. Sharma said in a voice that meant she was going to have the last word.

"Okay, ma'am. But can we do the little surprise I told you about yesterday?", I asked her and looked at her with hope evident in my eyes.

"Fine. You can do it, just don't involve the adults. Only the kids", said Mrs. Sharma in a not very amusing way, nonetheless I was still happy that she permitted us.

"Thank you ma'am!", I said, pulled Abhishek out of the tent and went towards the backstage.

Once we arrived, we could see the other students already practising their choreography one more time before their turn came. Abhishek and I made our way past the Bhangra group to a corner of the backstage. I sat on the chair and tightly clenched my dandiyas. I was wearing a golden choli, a pink ghagra with a golden border and a pink dupatta draped over my right shoulder.

 I was wearing a golden choli, a pink ghagra with a golden border and a pink dupatta draped over my right shoulder