Chapter 36: The Truth

A bright light, that's all Amber saw when the portal awakened around her and her family. The trees of the forest disappeared and all she could see was white. She knew her parents were still beside her; she could feel them. Her mother was holding her right hand, her father held her left and James stood behind her - as if guarding her back.

When the bright whiteness began to dim, she first noticed the dark, grey slate flooring under her trainers.

"Luchinda, is that really you?" Amber heard James say, his voice cracked with emotion. She looked around to find out who he had spotted.

There, standing amongst the shadows surrounding the strange well-thing that they stood around, was a robed figure. Amber narrowed her eyes to try and fight against the gloom, but she couldn't make out any features.

She closed her eyes and tried to remember the face that she had imagined when the infamous Luchinda was spoken about, back in her mother's flat. A place she felt warm and safe. Suddenly, like a spark of lightning, she realised, she will never step foot in that little flat again.

Interrupting Amber's thoughts, Luchinda stepped forward into the light and began to talk to James. Amber saw her face, her light brown, braided hair, her tiny frame against James' tall lanky one. She was nothing like what Amber imagined.

"Mum," Amber spoke quietly, hoping only Astrid would hear her. "Mum, is that Aunty Luchinda?"

Amber started when she saw the small woman's head snap her way. Then a melodious voice of velvet responded to her query.

"Oh! I'm sorry. Amber, you won't remember me but I'm your Great Aunt. Welcome back to Natanstrelle. You are finally home!"

Hearing those words made Amber's heart soar.

"I - I'm back? We're really in Natanstrelle?" she stammered with excitement.

"You are in Petra Marbh to be exact, in Night Forest," Luchinda corrected her with a smile.

"Night Forest? James... I mean... Grandfather told me about this place!" Amber beamed up at James and smiled up at her parents. "I want to see it. Please can I go and see?"

Astrid smiled a weak smile and looked towards her aunt. "We have a lot to discuss, Luchinda. " Her tone was stern.

"All in good time, Niece. You've only just arrived. Let the girl explore."

"Is it safe?" Astrid questioned, instinctively tightening her grip on her daughter's hand.

"Of course, the whole of Night Forest is protected from Noir-Astra, no harm will come to any of us here," Luchinda replied.

"What? The whole forest?" Astrid could not hide her cynicism and the harshness in her voice sent shivers through her mouse-like aunt.

"Astrid, please," True whispered gently by her side. "We can trust Luchinda, remember."

"I know! I know." Astrid's gaze fell to her hand, which was still clasping Amber's. "It's not Luchinda that I do not trust. The darkness, it is still out there and I know how sly it can be."

"I promise you, Astrid dear," Luchinda began to explain as softly as she could. "The first thing I did in preparation for your return was to walk the circumference of these trees to cast protection over this vast area. I had Illuminare-Trabem by my side every step of the way. I did this not only for your safety, but for others who may join us very soon."

"Others?" True cut in.

"Yes, it is time for us to gather all that are willing to fight for the light."