Chapter 22: Pugnum

"Mum, calm down, it's just a renaming," Pugnum called towards the overly stressed Josella darting back and forth. She was desperately making sure that she and her son looked presentable for the day's upcoming event.

"It's not just a renaming! How can you say that? I am never invited to things, not since your fa-"

A hot flush of shame coloured Josella's cheeks as she bit back the rest of her thought. Pugnum then watched his mother's eyes glaze over, as they often did.

"Not since my father's exile?" he finished for his mother, through gritted teeth.

She nodded, without daring to look into her son's fiery gaze.

"Will I ever stop hearing about the stupidity of that man!" Pugnum couldn't hold back. Yet the hurt that coursed through his mother's sudden shiver made his heart ache. He shook his head and finished buttoning up his clean, white shirt with his only functioning hand.

After just a moment of enduring a thick, uncomfortable silence, Josella decided to break the never-ending cycle of the exchange of guilt-filled glances.

"I'm just excited that's all. It is such an honour to be asked to attend such a personal affair. I think I've finally made a true friend in Naomi," Josella shared with a warm smile.

The look that Pugnum managed to catch within her damp eyes squeezed at his insides. Such long-suffered loneliness was evident within her. She yearned for a connection with her peers for so long. Pugnum couldn't help but be grateful that somebody had managed to finally put a smile on her face.

His gaze then fell as his thoughts began to spiral downwards.

"Mum?" he whispered towards the floor.

"Yes, my Joey?" Josella smiled as she checked the neatness of her carefully, woven hairstyle in her vanity mirror.

"You know that I thought of you everyday in the Emerald Army," Pugnum stumbled through his words. "There was never a moment that I didn't long to be with you, to help you, to..." The quivering of his lower lip made it impossible for him to carry on. Josella dropped everything and turned towards her broken son. She pulled him into her arms and let him lay his head on her shoulder.

"You mustn't worry about a thing, my sweet, sweet, Joey," she cooed into her son's ear. "I knew. Of course, I knew. You are not the cause of my loneliness."

Pugnum lifted his head and his mother instinctively wiped his tears from his cheeks.

"Who is this couple, anyway? Have I ever met them?" he asked, so to change the subject and in turn dismiss the emotions that were fighting to overpower the pair of them.

"Oh, I don't think you do. I believe one is from the Biabus-Lus family. I can't be sure though."

"Alright," Pugnum shrugged.

"Alright!" Josella echoed and turned back to the mirror with a new found enthusiasm. "Have you eaten anything yet, my Joey?"

"No, Mum, not yet."

"Well go and have something, now. It's nearly time for us to go."

Pugnum turned to leave the room.

"Oh and do make sure you remember to wear your hand today. It's a special occasion."

Pugnum rolled his eyes before uttering, "Fine."

He then left his mother to do the last minute tweaks to her already perfectly arranged ashy blonde, twisted hair strands.