Chapter 9: Moving In

As soon as Amber crossed the threshold into Astrid's home, and family, she brought with her a new sense of hope and a cure of her new foster mother's insomnia.

The transition was seamless, it didn't take long for the pair of them to feel as though their current situation had always been. There was no hesitation or awkwardness; only acceptance and happiness filled the few walls that Astrid's flat possessed. In no time at all they found themselves in a routine where they manoeuvred around each other with ease.

One important thing that Astrid wanted to sort out was setting up a special place within her flat, where Amber could sleep and be able to have privacy whenever she needed it. A room that she can call her own. The social worker made it clear to Astrid that she must provide such a space with the basics included - a bed, a pillow and a place to put her things. However, Astrid wanted to give her so much more than just the "basics". She wanted Amber to finally feel at home not just under another roof.

On a quiet evening, they sat down and planned exactly how the room would look. Astrid, being the art enthusiast that she was, encouraged Amber to be as creative as she wished to be. She was delighted to find that Amber was willing to fully submerge herself into this project and let her ideas run free.

It was decided that the room would have an enchanted forest theme and they worked together over a week to achieve just that. They painted a forest scene on a free wall, hung fairy-lights and draped jade silk across the window. They also arranged a white, mosquito net on a bracket attached to the ceiling. The gentle material cascaded down softly around a brand new single bed, which Astrid happily kitted out with bed sheets that were decorated with an elegant floral pattern in greens and golds.

When they were done, the room looked like a scene straight out of a fairy-tale and Amber's eyes lit up in wonder at their efforts.

"It looks just like a place from my dreams," Amber whispered in awe.

A tear came to Astrid's eye, for she was thinking the exact same thing.

One Tuesday evening Astrid and Amber sat at the dinner table, enjoying each other's company and Astrid's home cooking

One Tuesday evening Astrid and Amber sat at the dinner table, enjoying each other's company and Astrid's home cooking. Now that she was a mother, she felt that she should start working out of the recipe book that James gave her, rather than buying takeaway and microwaveable meals - the way she did when she was living alone. They both tucked into the chicken stew and dumplings that Astrid tried her best to put together; she hadn't managed to present it well on either of the plates but it tasted delicious all the same and it put a contented smile on Amber's face.

"So, how was school for you today?" Astrid asked her rehearsed dinner-time question.

"It was okay," Amber shrugged and looked up from her plate. "How was school for you?" she asked in return, imitating Astrid's voice to the best of her ability.

"Ah, same old, school stuff. How're you finding Mr Winters?"

"He's alright. He's got us doing portraits," Amber answered before taking another mouthful of stew.