"Well, from the sounds of it, she put herself right in the middle because she wanted to make sure the rest of the team had a chance to save as much intel as possible, which is both admirable and stubborn. You didn't do anything wrong, Steve. She's healing really quickly and she gets to put up with me until you all get back."

"Yeah, I'm glad neither of you are on your own I guess. Just a couple of Russian super spies hanging out. I bet you spend all day sneaking up on each other."

Bucky laughed, remembering the number of times Natasha had nearly given him a heart attack as she appeared out of thin air. "She's a bit less stealthy right now as she hobbles around. The clunking kinda gives it away."

"Ha ha, yes. I guess that makes sense." Steve was back to smiling. "Hey Buck, I gotta go. Sam is waving me over to look at some stuff. Good to catch up with you. Talk to you more soon!"

"Tell everyone I say hi! Talk soon, Steve."

"Yes, say the same to Nat! Bye, Buck!"

Bucky hung up the phone and placed it on the desk. The longer the team was away, the more he missed Steve and the rest of them, but Steve was right- things had gotten much better since Natasha had been back. He hadn't realized how lonely he had been until he had someone to spend time with regularly again. Even though he would go visit Shuri, having someone to see every day was nice, especially after so many years of functioning on his own or seeing only people who were cruel to him.

As Bucky walked over to the window to look over the city and take in the fresh air, he saw Natasha in the garden reading. She was laying on a bench, facing ever so slightly away from him. He wasn't as worried as he used to be when he would catch a glimpse of Natasha outside in the garden or by the pool that she might see him. Spending every day together meant running into each other constantly.

Bucky walked out to the garden where Natasha was laying, completely consumed in her book. This time she was reading 'The Taming of the Shrew' by William Shakespeare. Bucky always smiled at her choices of classic literature.

Natasha moved her book to the side, still hovering it above her face, but just enough to see Bucky and smirk at him. "Why hello there. Haven't seen you in at least an hour."

"I know, it's been ages." Bucky plopped himself on the path next to her, sitting cross-legged so his face was even with hers. "How's your book?"

"It's good. The main character is very... willful. I like that."

"Sounds like someone I know." Bucky raised an eye brow, leaning in slightly towards Natasha, as if gesturing with his whole body who he was referring to.

Natasha closed her book, still using her finger as a bookmark and playfully swatted it at him. "So, who were you talking to?"

"How'd you know I was on the phone?"

Natasha looked up in the direction of Bucky's window, a couple of floors up and behind her. "You aren't that quiet."

Bucky was a little concerned that she had heard what they were discussing on his call. He tried to settle the pit that had quickly formed in his stomach.

"Steve. Just updating him on things around here. I told him that you cooked last night and what we have been up to. Just the usual."

Natasha's eyes got a little wide in panic and her breathing became short. She fidgeted with the book in her hand, running her finger over the edge of the pages, and accidentally giving herself a paper-cut. While she reassured herself that was normal information to share with Steve and she didn't have reason to worry, anxiety still crawled up her spine. She couldn't help the fact that this was still a trigger for her, them would be 'found out.' Natasha reminded herself there was nothing to find and no one to hide anything from.

"And how is Steve?"

Bucky had caught a flash of something pass across Natasha's face before she responded, but he didn't recognize the emotion, so he continued. "He's ok. Just wants to be done with the mission already. Misses seeing us. Feels bad that you are still injured."

"Did you give him a hard time about it? Tell him that he shouldn't have punched me?" Natasha joked.

"He elbowed you and you earned that one. And no I didn't. You know he feels bad enough already."

"I know. I just like to hassle him. It's more fun."

Bucky laughed a little and tucked his hair behind his ear. Natasha tried not to notice how charming he looked as he did so.

"So, what are we doing today? You want me to leave you to your reading? I can find something else."

"No, I was just waiting on you. I have big plans." Natasha had a mischievous look on her face.

Bucky smirked, "Oh yeah? What's that?"

"Well, since you made me stand on my feet and work so hard yesterday, it's payback time."

"First of all, you weren't standing, you were on a stool. Secondly, what do you have in mind?"

Natasha raised an eyebrow. "You are running stairs while I time you. I want to send something to Sam to antagonize him."

"Seriously?"

"Yes! Plus, it'll just be fun for me to watch you work your ass off while I sit and eat a donut. If I'm gonna be immobile, I might as well live it up while I can."

Bucky laughed and shook his head at the absurdity of her plan. "Well, ok then. I guess you are in charge." Bucky stood up and offered Natasha a hand. She marked her book page and accepted the help to get to her crutch. She was becoming more and more stubborn about walking on her own as much as she could, even if she limped along haphazardly. Whenever Bucky was around, he watched her out of the corner of his eye in case this was the time she went hind-end over tea kettle.

The rest of the afternoon was spent with Natasha antagonizing Bucky as he ran the stairs, telling him to hurry up and that Sam and Steve would run faster than him. Even as he was out of breath, he frequently laughed through the gasps for air as she heckled him. She did get a couple of good videos of him racing up and down the stairs that she sent to Sam, who took the bait and started running his mouth about how he would have done a better job if he had been there.

Natasha didn't miss being in the field on days like this.

Listen to: "Candy in the Sun" - Swirl 360