Chapter Three

Good god.

       For a few seconds, all I could do was stare at Kory; All six feet of him, from head to toe. I had seen him last night, but seeing and appreciating were two totally different things. He had short black hair that looked slightly messy, and a strong, well chiseled face. Thick eyebrows over heavy-lidded eyes, a square jaw, high, finely sculpted cheekbones, and full, firm lips like sin made him walking eye candy. I realized I was standing there with my mouth hanging open and felt ridiculous.

            “What makes you think that?” I said scornfully, “Because I truly have no intention to stay here.” Crossing my arms, I cocked my hips and tilted my head to the side, broadcasting my attitude. I saw Ana mouth, “Bad idea” behind his back, eyes wide as she slowly tiptoed back toward the door we’d entered. I knew that the rest of the people were probably enjoying the show, but I suddenly couldn’t care less.

            Kory’s right eye twitched, my only indication that he heard me.

            “You’re probably hungry,” he rumbled. “Come; let’s get you something to eat.” He grabbed me by the arm, spinning me around and walking me to a buffet table. Pancakes, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy; it all made my stomach growl.

            “I am hungry, but that doesn’t mean you get to manhandle me. Let go.” I tried to be polite as possible. Just because I wouldn’t have to deal with these people much longer didn’t really give me an excuse to be rude. Regardless, I couldn’t help glaring at him as I grabbed an English muffin and poured myself a cup of coffee. I took a bite of the muffin, chewing quickly and swallowing before I spoke again. “Alright, I have food. Now, I understand that you don’t want anyone to know where your ‘ultra-secret’ lair is. If you want to, you can blindfold me, put headphones on me, I don’t care; However, I am going home, and I am not joining your group. I am not guardian material. Even if I were, I still wouldn’t be part of this group. I enjoy my normal life just fine thank you. Now, please take me home.” I figured if I played along they would let me go. Instead, Kory completely ignored my little monologue. I could tell that he had been listening . He’d been watching me as I spoke, arms crossed. He was still staring at me, as if he were waiting for me to finish my tirade. A little unnerved, but trying not to show it, I finished my muffin and stared right back at him. I took another sip of coffee, still waiting for a reply. He merely blinked and breathed. After a few more seconds, I couldn’t help myself, he was creeping me out.

            “What?” I asked in a much softer tone than the one I’d been using.

            “Are you finished eating?” He questioned.

            Looking around, I saw that everyone was still watching us, although surreptitiously now. “Sure. Do I get to leave now?”

            “You get to leave the mess hall.” He said, his lips twitching.

            “Do you think I’m trying to be funny?” I said, placing my coffee cup on the table.

            “No. I was merely waiting for you to finish eating. It’s obvious that being stared at makes you uncomfortable.”

            “So, you figured you’d sit there and do your part to make me uncomfortable. Is that what’s so funny to you?”

            “No.” He replied, motioning me to follow him. I did, but only so I could hear what he said next. “I find you funny. You are very nervous and trying your best not to show it. You act as though we are going to attack you, and all we want to do is help you.” Stopping at a table in a corner, he pulled out a chair and pointed to it. “Sit.”