Chapter One

It was a whistle that ended my life, in my opinion. I had just gotten out of work, and my feet were killing me. Not because I was wearing high heels or anything; I was wearing good ol’ tennis shoes. No, they were killing me because my boss, Herman, had sent me all over town looking for his favorite coffee creamer, after I had already ran all over town for one wild goose chase. It couldn’t be French Vanilla, no, that wasn’t fancy enough for him. He wanted this creamer that tasted like tiramisu, and he wanted it for less than five dollars, which, needless to say, was nearly impossible in our little town. However, I found it. I had to do anything I could to make his highness happy. I was really hoping to get a raise soon.

        Earlier on in the day I had almost talked myself up enough to approach him about it. Eric, one of my co-workers, had told me that Herman was in a good mood. Excited, I printed out my list of accomplishments I had typed up, reading them to myself aloud. I, personally, had made the company three thousand dollars by convincing an old neighbor that she absolutely had to come to us for her home appraisal. Not only that, but because I had convinced her, she then went on and convinced a few of her friends to come by our office too, garnering us a new circle of potential clients. I had saved the company money by making everyone at work save the boxes we that held items shipped to us so we could then use the boxes to ship items out to customers. I had also instructed the janitors to unplug everything that was not used at night; thus saving on our electric bill. I was always cordial to vendors and clients alike, I had never missed a single day at work in the three years I had worked there, had not taken a single vacation, and the only time I’d ever been late was when my car decided to go kaput on the way. Even then, I had run as fast as I could through town, in heels and a skirt, and sailed into the office a mere five minutes late.

        My brag sheet in hand, I had confidently walked into my boss’s office and said, “Herman, I need to speak with you about something.”

        He’d looked up at me, a frown creasing the leathery skin of his forehead. “Elle, where is my suit?”

        “Wh-what sir?” I’d asked, thrown off of my game.

        “I told you days ago that I needed you to pick up my suit and take it to the dry cleaners. I have a meeting with a potential client, and I need my power suit. Now stop with your stuttering, and tell me that you have it waiting for me somewhere.” I’d had absolutely no idea what he was talking about, but as I watched his face turn a deep ruby red, I decided to forget about asking about a raise for the time being.

        Thinking furiously, I’d replied, “Oh, that suit! It should be ready to go soon. In fact, let me call the dry cleaners now.” I had smiled as widely as I could, trying to disarm the ticking time bomb of his anger. If I threw the suit and a wet fabric softener sheet into a dryer at the Laundromat for a few minutes, he would never know the difference. At his nod, I had retreated quickly, practically running to my desk to grab my car keys. I’d found my coworker, Eric propped up on the corner of my desk, arms crossed as I entered the room.

        “Any luck? Or did you chicken out again?” He’d smirked knowingly.

        “Shut up.” I’d muttered crossly. “By the way, have you seen Herman’s power suit?” Thirty minutes later, I had been in Herman’s apartment, ransacking his dirty laundry looking for the suit when my cell phone rang. I’d pulled it out of my pocket and answered cheerfully, happy for the reprieve from his sweaty clothes.

         “Hello?”

         “Elle!” He’d chirped. “Good news! I had dropped the suit off myself!” He laughed merrily before adding, “The dry cleaners just brought it back to me.” I’d gritted my teeth and gently banged my head on his marble floor.