Chapter Twelve

Once more at my house, I walked quickly to the basement. After my revelation, I had been peppered with questions. I had explained to them that while I had never met my father, I had discovered some old pictures of him after my mother’s car accident. At first I had thought the pictures were of my mother and a friend. However, I found a few letters they had written to each other, and in one of them, my mother had written, ‘Adam, I am so happy to be with you’. I knew then, looking at that picture that the man was my father. I had to explain to the team that my mother had told me that he was dead, that he had died from a sudden aneurysm. Now, walking down the stairs that creaked with every step, amidst the smell of dampness and earth, I knew she had lied to me. I wondered why. Had she just stopped loving him? Had she found someone else? Or, had she somehow discovered what he was? I didn’t know, and I wanted to rail at her for not being alive to answer the questions. I felt like everything I knew about my life was being pulled apart in front of my eyes, like threads ripped out of a tapestry. Kory was following close behind me, the rest of the team having decided to stay upstairs and make dinner. I think they just didn’t want to see my shell shocked face.

         “I’m sure that it isn’t him.” Kory repeated for the third time.

         I gave a short laugh. “Thanks for trying to make me feel better, but I’m pretty sure it is him. I’m sure that there aren’t many people with a scar as wicked looking as his.” At the bottom of the stairs, I pulled on the cord dangling from the one light in the room, making it so we could see around us. The basement smelled like dirt and mold, and the chipping pine tree colored paint on the walls only made me more aware that I was underground. Wiping my sweaty palms on my pants, I sorted through the boxes I had stacked down there until I found the one that I wanted. Sitting down cross legged, I pulled the purple and black striped box toward me and opened it. I found the picture in no time, handing it to Kory.

        “That’s him isn’t it? Adam?” I watched his face as he held the picture up to the light. When his eyes narrowed and his jaw clenched, I nodded unhappily. “Yeah, I thought so.” Holding the picture, Kory sat down beside me on the concrete floor. We didn’t speak for a while.

        Kory grabbed the box and took out more pictures. “I’m sorry.” He said after examining them and putting them back in the box.

         “For what?” I asked blinking quickly so I wouldn’t cry. “The fact that my mother lied to me? Told me that my father was dead when he was really alive? That my miraculously living father is a lycan? That he is the leader of a den of Lycans? Has probably ruined the lives of people all over this state? Is likely the one who attacked my best friend? Now seems to want me dead?” I turned my head away, the tears that I had been trying to hold back slowly rolling down my cheeks.

         Kory took me by my shoulders, turning me around. He held my face in his hands, wiping away my tears with his thumbs. “Take your pick.” He replied. “Or pick them all.” He searched my eyes before dropping his hands.

        “I feel responsible.” I said slowly. “For what happened to Lina.”

        “That wasn’t your fault.” He gripped his hands together. “None of what has happened is your fault. So don’t feel guilty or responsible. Be angry, if you must feel something.”

        I nodded, stemming the flow of my tears. It was like I had been given permission, and suddenly I was infuriated. “How could she lie to me? And why would he want to kill me? I haven’t done anything to deserve this!” I stood up, and began pacing the length of the basement.

        I stopped at the sound of Kory’s voice. “No, you haven’t done anything to deserve this. None of this is your fault. If it is anyone’s fault, it’s mine.”