I was not easily fooled. "Shapening cream."

"Good." He glided over and set it in my palm. I felt the energy pulsing in my hand. Beating like a heart. Warm. Strong. Alive. "Where does it come from?"

I brushed golden bangs aside. "Colossi?"

"And what is it?"

I shrugged. "Part of the colossi ... I'm uncertain of what ... the saliva?"

"The blood." Malos snatched the veil, gave it a flip, then tucked it into one of his many pockets. He grinned sinisterly. "And there is more of it ... the Landwalkers have more."

I raised an eyebrow. "If you have some, why do you need more?"

"Don't you recognize what gave you fins, child? The blood. Colossi blood holds the power."

I rubbed my chin. For so long, I wondered how we'd gained our fin. I was only a small girl when I was dunked and shaped to the fin. And the memory faded with my childhood. "But what good is a fin unless it gives more power?" Malos snickered, tucking his hand into his enormous sleeve. He watched me for a time until I felt the need to resolve my question. "They have a different kind of power?"

Malos nodded, "The power of earth. That is what the colossi were ... the four elements: Earth, Wind, Water, and Fire. And when they were slain by the great dragon lord of the south, their blood spilt across the land, infecting all, and killing most." He sighed, allowing his lip to sink. "That is why creatures like the Sqek exist. They are what becomes of the infected."

I shivered, and my hairs raised. Since I was young, and heard of the Sqek, I believed they were monsters from the abyss who'd come to the surface to feast. Now I knew they were much more ... a manifestation of evil.

"You want to gain the blood the landwalkers have? And with it, you want to use it against the Sqek?"

"You're a smart child."

The thought frightened me ... but I tingled with excitement. If we could defeat the landwalkers, then we could learn their power. And with their power, use it against the Sqek. Then we could go home. Aqule would've wanted to go home.

"What if father choose not to attack the landwalkers? What if he decides to flee?"

Uncle Malos didn't seem bothered by the question. His eyes glimmered with intrigue. "Then we'll need to cause the landwalkers to march on us, don't you think? And if they come to the loch, then we'll have the power of water. Earth dwellers sink in their skin armour ... I've seen it."

"You mean to attack them?"

"No." Malos glided over, halting by my side. He ran his skinny fingers through my soft, golden hair. "I mean, we get even. Kill the boy chief. If we do that, then they'll be certain to go on the hunt."

"If they come, father will flee."

"If they come, your father will have no choice but to fight. The landwalkers are barbaric, yes. But they are fewer than the Sqek ... and few than us." He looked around the shelves. "We also have Frostsap."

I spied the frosted jars, illuminating blue as night algae. "And what does it do?"

"When touched by air, it brings a chill that cripples the lungs." Malos smirked with foreseeable pleasure. "Now, child, I must get back to my work. Do remember what I said."

I nodded and forced a smile. Malos bowed his head, then glided off as quietly as he came.

My mind was floating with thoughts. What if my uncle was wrong? What if the landwalkers were stronger than he thought? A war with them could destroy everything we have here. But what about Aqule? They shot that arrow through her, beat her with a club. Can we just let that be forgotten?