Match them

Yes, the thing you've been waiting for: Creating character relationships

N O! Damn it, I'm not doing that.

(At least not right now)

Right now I'm telling you how to match a character's personality -- with their backstory.

Basically, if their backstory is super dark and sad and the whatnot then don't make them so fucking optimistic!!!

But you may be wondering: But there are a bunch of funny dudes that have had hard pasts. (Some of them being Leo Valdez and Keefe Sencen, but we'll get into them later)

Anyways, FUNNY is not the same as OPTIMISTIC. Funny is how these poor children with shit lives deal with their shit lives. Optimistic is not the same. They may seem optimistic on the outside, but on the inside, they're not. And that, my friends, is what we call a character with layers.

If a person is in a nice family, living life to the fullest, with no problems whatsoever, make them naive. Make them unrealistically optimistic. Make them oblivious, innocent, gullible.

 Make them oblivious, innocent, gullible

Your past makes you, you. So your character's past makes them, them.

Alright, screw this philosophy shit. You guys get what I mean. Treat a character like a real person.

Tag real people here    ------->