Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

Not that I'm complaining, they aren't here to be with her but I am. I have the chance to make everything right again and it's a chance I never thought I'd get. I kept one hand on her back and moved one up to her hair, tangling my fingers in it as I quietly shushed her. I move is back and sit on the sofa with her on top of me, leaving absolutely no space between us.

God I've missed her. Her scent, her eyes, how soft her hair is, how soft and unblemished her skin is, how she puts everyone first no matter what.

She is perfection.

And I'm an asshole for letting her go.

I have no idea what time it is but we must have sat here, her crying into my neck for the past hour before the tears seemed to stop and her breaths shallowed out.

She's cried herself to sleep.

I carefully stood from the sofa with her in my arms and carried her into the hallway, after finding her bedroom out of the two rooms I haven't been in I laid her down gently on her bed. I stood tall and looked around, contemplating before going over to the set of drawers and hunting for a pair of cotton shorts. I found a pair of red ones that had two little white stripes going down the side and moved over to her.

She will probably kill me for this but she won't be comfortable sleeping in jeans.

I carefully unbutton and unzip her jeans, pulling them down her legs and over her feet, sitting them beside her on the bed for now.  I carefully put each of her feet in the shorts and gently pulled them up her legs and with a little bit of struggle managed to get them on properly.  I stood back and folded her jeans setting them on top of her dresser and covered her with a blanket, placing a soft kiss on her head.  I quickly got a glass of water and raked through her bathroom cabinet to get a couple of pain killers and placed them both on the beside table before closing the door quietly behind me as I made my way out to the sofa.

I just want her to be okay.

~~~

I heard movement in her room half an hour ago but she hasn't came out, I stayed here, on the sofa.  I knew she wouldn't be comfortable with me in bed with her and let's be honest she will already kill me for taking her jeans off so I decided not to push my luck. 

I looked at my phone to see it's 9:48 and decided to go make two cups of coffee, making sure to make it just how she used to take it and hoping to god she still does.  I lifted the two cups carefully, not wanting to spill any and made my way to her bedroom.

"Cara?"  I asked yet received radio silence on her end. I sighed quietly and sat the cups of coffee on the floor before sitting myself down on the floor.

Where are her parents? And her brother? Why is she here dealing with this herself? Was it her choice to deal with it alone? From what I know from the time I spent with her she isn't a huge fan of being alone in general never mind when something tragic like this happens.

"I thought you would have went home by now."  Her soft voice said from above me making my attention immediately snap to her, she looked freshly showered but her eyes were still kind of puffy.

"I told you, I don't think you should be alone..." I said as I stood up and handed her one of the coffees I made.  She looked at it for a minute before taking it and bringing the cup to her lips.

"Where did you...Um- we didn't sleep in the same bed right?"  She asked quietly, not taking her eyes off the mug in her hands. 

"No...I stayed on the sofa.." I said softly, she's so quiet and timid.  She's changed so much but at the same time she hasn't changed at all. 

"I didn't fall asleep wearing shorts."  She said as she finally lifted her eyes to me and I shook my head a little.

"Jeans aren't comfortable to sleep in, I wanted you to be comfy."  I said, bracing myself for her yelling at me. 

"Umm...thanks...I guess." 

Okay then, maybe there won't be any yelling.

"How do you feel?"  I asked, I know she's going to tell me she's fine as if I don't know how to read her. 

"I'm fine, you can go home if you like.  I don't need a babysitter."  She said and I couldn't help but smile at her sassy tone.

"I'm not going anywhere and I'm also not here to babysit you, I'm here to be a friend and be there for you."  I told her and watched as she raised her eyebrows at me, her hip popping out a little as she placed her hand on it.

"That's what we are now?  Friends?" 

"For now."

"What do you mean for now?  For now as in until you leave again?"  She asked quietly and an aura of sadness took offer her entire being.

"No.  Until I can show you I still love you and I'm 100% in."