April 1915

Polly very unceremoniously barged her way into the flat and into Amelia's bedroom. "Right, up 'n at 'em." She drew back the curtains, letting the early afternoon sun come in.

Amelia groaned and threw a pillow over her face. "Goway." She muttered.

"It's been a month you've been like this. No more." Polly yanked the quilt off the bed. "It's time to take control of your life."

It felt like agony, but Amelia knew she was right. It had been a month almost to the day since Tommy and the others had left. Birmingham seemed so empty and quiet without the Shelby boys and company running about. She couldn't stand the empty space. It was driving her near insanity. All she wanted to do was sleep. That was easier, sleeping was easier.

But Polly was right, she had lost control over her life. Max hadn't even been living with her, he'd been at Six Watery. She couldn't take care of herself so how was she meant to take care of a four-year-old?

Polly wrestled the pillow away from her. "Up." She ordered. "I've drawn you a bath. I want you dressed and in the betting shop in an hour."

Amelia sat up with a moping frown. "The betting shop?"

"Yep, we're opening back up today."

~~~~~~~~~~~

After a much needed bath, Amelia got dressed and walked over to the betting shop. She went through the foyer and found Max and Abigail playing.

"Mummy!" He exclaimed. His eyes lit up when he saw her.

"Hi, darling." She felt her eyes well up. God, she felt so selfish for leaving him. First Tommy left and then she'd practically abandoned him for a whole month because of her own grief. She scooped him up and kissed his cheek.

Polly walked into the parlor and smiled. "Glad to see you up." She said in a gentler voice than when she woke Amelia up.

"Yeah," Amelia replied quietly and set Max down.

"Come, I'll show you what I want you to do."

Polly sat her down at one of the tables and began stacking papers in front of her. Martha was already hard at work at the blackboard, having been learning from Polly for a couple of days. There were a few other women who had been brought on. One of Martha's sisters, one of Amelia's colleagues from her time at the grocer, and Barney's beau. All women who needed the extra money and the work to take their mind off of things. Meanwhile, Finn, only seven, was running bets and coins back and forth, happy to be helping like his older brothers. Polly had made the hard decision of removing him from school. She needed all the help she could get with the shop and the younger children. They had to work as a collective now.

Polly went over the operations, stopping every so often to make sure Amelia understood. It was strange, now learning the work her husband did day in and day out. Of course, there was more to just the math and mechanical work.

A couple of hours later, Amelia was getting the hang of it and she looked up. "Pol?"

"Mhm?" She was counting money like an expert.

"I'm worried about...other bookies." She kept her language vague so none of the others would pick up on the danger she was implying. Martha was probably the only one who understood, having been married to John.

"Tonight, we'll go to the yard." She replied. "I have something to give you and Martha."

~~~~~~~~~~~