April 1918

//Happy Holidays everyone! Here's a little gift to everyone who's always given me so much support in my writing.       

      Amelia wasn't sure she was able to feel so many emotions all at once. It was nearly a similar experience to when she first held Max and Annie right after they were born. Every part of her felt like it was pushing against her skin. All the feelings were just ready to burst out of her.

Excitement, impatience, hope, longing, and yet there was a sadness. They would finally be reunited but there would still be those years they lost. They could never get that time back.

Max was bouncing up and down by the door. "C'mon mum!" He yelled.

"I'm coming, I'm coming." Amelia hurried downstairs with Annie in her arms. "It's a little early, poppet."

"I wanna be there though." The almost eight-year-old protested.

"We'll get there soon enough, it's not too far." Amelia opened the door and let Annie down. "We need to wait here for the rest."

Max whined. "But what if we miss the train?"

"We won't, I promise. Daddy will still be there waiting for us." Amelia couldn't exactly blame him though. She was praying that the train wasn't late. She had waited years for this day but now couldn't even stand to wait another minute. "Look, Max, here they come."

Polly, Martha, and the children were coming down the street all looking to be in good spirits.

"Race ya to the train station!" Finn yelled to Max and before anyone could stop them, the young boys were sprinting down the lane.

"Max!" Amelia called after him but there was no use.

"They'll be alright," Polly assured her.

"He hasn't been able to stand still all morning." Amelia laughed softly as they began to walk, Annie holding onto her hand. "I don't even think he slept a wink."

"It doesn't feel real," Martha said, already clutching her handkerchief close, tears welling up in her eyes. "It feels like a dream."

There was a crowd of people swarming the train station to welcome back loved ones. Max and Finn had climbed up on a brick wall to see over everyone.

Amelia came and gently held Max's ankle just to make sure he didn't topple over.

The energy in the air was almost electric. People were chattering happily about finally getting to kiss and hug the people they'd missed for so long.

"There's the train!" Finn called out.

Amelia's heart was racing as she heard the train whistle sound from a close distance. She picked up Annie who seemed a little nervous about the crowd around her.

"Mum, look!" Max cried as the train slowly pulled into the station. Dozens of uniformed men came spilling out of the train cars, all searching for their family and friends.

People were calling out names and joyfully reuniting.

Finn suddenly shouted. "Arthur!" He jumped from the wall and disappeared into the crowd.

Four years of waiting, and when Amelia heard them nearby, she began to cry.

Tommy found Max first, rushing over to him. Max shouted with delight as he jumped into his father's arms.