1909 Small Heath

When someone got the chance to leave Small Heath, they never returned. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity, a chance that others didn't get. However, sometimes life was unfair and fate sent a person right back where they started.

Tommy Shelby was well known in Small Heath. The nineteen-year-old had a penchant for getting into mischief with his brothers. Still, his neighbors knew him as a kid who smiled often and had a good sense of humor. In fact, not everyone thought Tommy was a bad person. Everyone in the area had varying opinions on the entire Shelby family. The police thought they were a family of troublemakers. Some were skeptical of their background as Travelers. Many women revered Polly Gray for being near-mythical and often went to her to have their tea leaves read, even if it was behind their husband's backs. And nearly every girl up and down the streets fancied at least one of the Shelby boys. They would giggle to each other when one passed by. If Tommy tipped his hat at them, they nearly fainted. Besides, what was better than a pair of blue eyes and a reputation?

Nineteen and a bit too big for his britches, although they were hand-me-downs, Tommy walked through Small Heath with a confident step. As he continued down the block, one of his neighbors called out.

"Up to no good, Thomas?" Mrs. Banks was on the front step of her home watching her two children playing on the street.

"Just getting some shopping for Polly." Tommy grinned, always amused by her disapproving shake of the head.

"Hi, Tommy!" The Banks' oldest child, Robert, greeted despite the glare from his mother. He kicked his football forward sending it careening toward Tommy.

He knocked it back toward the other children with his heel as he headed on his way.

"'Morning, Tommy." The pretty blonde from down the street caught his attention only a few yards down the sidewalk.

"Violet, you well?" He put on a charming smile and stopped to chat. Polly wouldn't mind if he was a bit late. Well, she would but Tommy didn't care if he got scolded.

"Better now that you're here." She looked at him coyly. "I haven't seen you though. Thought you were avoiding me."

"How could I avoid you?" He tilted his head to the side. "Doesn't sound like me, does it?"

"Alright." She playfully twisted a lock of her hair around her finger. "You could take me out tonight, then."

"I think that could be arranged. I-" Tommy happened to glance over Violet's shoulder and caught a glimpse of someone familiar. Someone he hadn't seen in years but could never forget even if he tried. "I uh-we'll talk soon, yeah?" He slipped past Violet even though she protested. Walking toward the figure, he could hardly believe his eyes. For more than one reason, it felt like he was seeing things. "Amelia." He called out before he reached her.

The woman looked up; her eyes widened in surprise when she saw who was calling her. "Tommy." The name left her lips in a soft gasp. "Wh-" It was quite a silly question to ask him, they were on Watery Lane. The only person who didn't belong was her.

So, Tommy asked the question for her. "What are you doing here?" The last time he'd seen his childhood best friend, she was at the train station. They were only thirteen at the time and Amelia's family was moving to London. Her father had gotten hired somewhere with a salary that was unheard of in Birmingham. Naturally, that meant they could afford to live somewhere nicer, somewhere where his daughter wouldn't have to play on the dirty streets with kids like Tommy Shelby.