September 1909

It happened one unseasonably warm fall day. September 16th, to be exact. Amelia was getting a glass of water from the kitchen, just minding her own business. It wasn't until she stepped to the side when she noticed a bit of liquid trickling down her leg. At first, she was embarrassed, not sure what was happening. Then it dawned on her that it was most likely the start of what she'd been afraid of for almost nine months.

"Uh...Pol?"

Polly was writing carefully in a ledger in her office in the betting shop. "Have a question, love?" She asked, a bit distracted by numbers. It was early in the afternoon and the shop was abuzz with activity. Odds being shouted back and forth, money passing hands, and the sound of chalk on the blackboard. But Amelia had quietly flitted her way to Polly so she wouldn't call attention to herself.

"How would I know if my water's broke?"

That immediately grabbed Polly's attention. The woman's head shot up and she dropped her pen. "Your water broke?"

"I er, I think so. I don't know for sure though." Amelia pulled up the hem of her skirt a bit.

"Alright, let's get you upstairs then, just in case." Polly jumped up and rushed over to the young woman.

"I-fuck!" Amelia suddenly shouted and doubled over when she felt her first contraction.

The men in the shop all turned to look at her in confusion.

Polly knew if anyone had the most sense in the home, it was her. "All of you clear out." She ordered. "Now."

"Pol..." Danny looked a little lost. There was no way Tommy and Arthur would appreciate all of them leaving in the middle of taking bets.

"I said get the fuck out!" Polly snapped; a bit louder. That was enough to convince them, as they all scattered. But she stopped Danny at the door. "Get Tommy, bring him back here, tell him she's gone into labor and he needs to get here now."

"Yes, ma'am!"

Polly got Amelia to sit down. "Take some deep breaths." She soothed in a calmer voice.

"Pol, I don't think I'm ready." Amelia was suddenly terrified. It was easy enough to say she wasn't scared when she was just pregnant. But as she was getting ready to give birth, the reality was hard to ignore.

"Well, that little boy is ready, so you'll need to be too."

~~~~~~~~

For a moment, Tommy thought Danny was playing a joke on him. But it became clear that Amelia was going into labor. So he ran the entire way back home.

"Pol? Mel?" He called.

"In the shop!" Polly yelled back. She was kneeling down next to Amelia, holding her hand and coaching her through her breathing. "Help me bring her upstairs."

Tommy froze a bit. Amelia looked panicked as she clutched Polly's hand and gave little, shallow breaths.

"Thomas, get your head outta your arse and help me!" His aunt stood up.

Running on nothing but instinct, he scooped Amelia up into his arms and did his best to carefully bring her upstairs. Mid-way, Amelia let out a groan of pain.

Tommy didn't even have the words to comfort her. He had no clue what to say, all he could do was listen to Polly.

"Go downstairs and get a heap of towels," Polly instructed as he lay Amelia down on the bed. As Tommy dashed back downstairs, she helped Amelia sit up against the pillows. "As long as you keep breathing, you'll be okay." She promised as she helped the expectant mother strip down to her slip to make the delivery easier.