September 1918

"Morning Mrs. Shelby."

It had become commonplace in the later months of 1918. When walking down the street, Amelia was greeted and addressed politely. Some people even went out of their way to avoid walking by her. Of course, she was just a young woman, a mother of two. There wasn't much she could do to harm them. But it was her affiliation that brought her a level of notoriety.

Tommy had taken the income made during the war years and turned it into a budding empire. He'd grown so much power seemingly overnight.

People in every corner of Birmingham whispered about him and his brothers. They were afraid that if they spoke the name Shelby too loudly, they'd be struck down.

"Mummy, who's that?" Max asked as they were walking from Polly's flat back to the betting shop. A gentleman had just tipped his hat and greeted Amelia.

"I uh, I think he must work with daddy." She answered although she wasn't entirely sure.

"Daddy knows everyone," Annie said.

Amelia laughed softly. "Well not everyone. But he knows many people. We grew up here with your aunts and uncles."

"Where?" Max asked curiously.

"That flat down by the lamppost." She pointed down the road to her childhood home. Over time it had become just part of the landscape for her. But when she moved back to Birmingham, she couldn't help but feel the tear in her heart when she passed by its black door.

It was where she was born, had her birthdays, spent time with her mother and father, and felt most safe.

The knocker on the door was still the one that had been there when she was growing up. The same one that Tommy used to get her to come out and play. Sometimes Amelia's mother would close the door on him. So, he'd go around back and throw pebbles at her window instead.

Amelia felt like her life was severed. What she once had and what she now had. She could argue that she was much better off with her children and husband. But there was still that yearning for the family she once had with her parents.

She pulled herself away from the sadness and smiled. "Your father and I would play football on this street with your aunt and uncles."

"Did daddy love you?" Annie asked.

Amelia smiled and squeezed her hand. "I think so, poppet. I loved him very much. Almost as much as I do now."

~~~~~~~~~~

Ada was clearly upset about something. When she was angry, she made it a point not to speak to anyone and made sure they knew it.

It became very clear when she arrived home to Six Watery while Martha and Amelia were spending time chatting in the kitchen, waiting for Polly who promised to go shopping with them after she settled some work issues.

Ada came storming into the house, slamming the door behind her. She walked through the kitchen to the betting shop doors.

"Ada?" Amelia frowned when she saw the look of anger on the Shelby girl's face.

She didn't answer and marched into the betting shop hell-bent on getting something accomplished.

The other two women shared a glance before Amelia stood up to follow her. She wove between the men at work to follow Ada into Arthur's office.