December 1914-March 1915

They had the blessing of being able to spend Christmas together. They enjoyed their time together as a family, celebrating John and Martha's newest arrival, Wilbur. While news from the war front was constant, Amelia felt reassured that Tommy and the others wouldn't be shipped off. With the cold of winter settling in, she felt content to deny what was going on in the rest of the world. She hunkered down like a little mouse, tending to the house and keeping everything warm and keeping everyone happy.

~~~~~~~~~

But it was not to last. After Valentine's Day, a letter arrived.

Amelia heard it fall through the mail slot and she went to retrieve it. When she saw the British army emblem on it, she panicked. It felt like her heart jumped to her throat.

"Mel?" Tommy was walking downstairs and she saw an envelope in her hand. "Something wrong?"

"No!" She clasped her hand tightly around the letter and tucked it into her skirt pocket.

Knowing she was a terrible liar, and seeing the fear on her face, he pressed. "Mel, what is it?"

"It's nothing."

"Amelia." He held a hand out. "Let me see."

She lifted her chin to try and appear truthful. "It's not for you."

"Really? Who's it for then?"

"Me."

"Who's it from?"

"My-" She swallowed. It was so difficult trying to lie to him. Not only was she a shit liar but it tore her up inside with guilt.

"C'mon, just let me see it." He reached for her pocket but she backed away.

"No!" She snapped and tucked her hand into her pocket and clutched the letter to make sure he couldn't get to it.

There was only one thing that got Amelia so upset. It was the war. The prospect of losing Tommy was too much for her to bear. She couldn't hear or read about the news. She didn't want to talk about it. She would leave a conversation if it was ever brought up. She was in complete denial. So, Tommy had a hunch about what the letter was about.

"Amelia, give it to me." He backed her up into the wall and reached again. She pulled her hand away, trying in vain to keep the envelope out of reach. But he grabbed her wrist and yanked it from her hand.

Although wrinkled from the tussle, he saw the same emblem that had made her panic. Tommy stared at it for a minute. He knew what it was. He didn't even have to open it to know. But he peeled open the envelope and took out the letter.

Amelia watched with tears in her eyes. "Tommy..."

He swallowed and looked up. "Mel, I told you this might happen."

It felt like she was kicked in the stomach. "No...no please."

"What do you want me to do?" He snapped. "What am I supposed to do?" He shook the letter in his hand. "Because me hands are tied! You're only making this harder for everyone!"

Amelia shrunk into herself, covering her eyes with her hands.

They stood in the foyer, the only sounds from the clock on the wall and the soft sobbing from behind her hands.

"Mel..." Tommy tossed the letter aside and stepped closer to her. "I'm sorry. I just don't know what to tell you anymore."

"Pl-please don't go." She begged as he enveloped her in his arms. "Please, Tommy."