3. Can't Get Any Worse...

Xavier smiles at me from where he sits at the lunch table. I smile back sadly, wiping my face and look down at my pizza. Taking a bite, the cheese refuses to separate from the rest of the slice. Rachel laughs at me a little. "Try not to cut it okay?" she says, making everyone at our table erupt into laughs and giggles. Except me.

"That's funny huh?" She nods as I pull apart the loose cheese strings. Jack looks at me with a confused expression, until he realizes just what I'm about to do. I make a small ball of cheese and throw it right at Rachel. She gasps as it lands on her chest and slides down her shirt. "Revenge is sweet," I laugh.

"Oh it will be," she says, glaring right at me. I grin innocently and bat my lashes at her, making her even more mad. But I know she's not really mad at me. We play jokes and pranks on each other all the time. Sometimes we get in trouble for it, but not always.

It's nice to forget the troubles at home. Forget that you have chores, your dad has basically been missing for months, your sister hates you with every bone in her body. That your mom pays you so little attention, to where it's almost like there's a stranger in the house.

"Don't know what you mean sweetheart." She scrunches up one side of her nose and shakes her head at me in a very mocking sense. Jack clears his throat, catching our attention. Xavier and Simon look at him as well.

"Anyways, before world war 3 breaks out, Kei, are you open for the mall today? Or did you get too much homework?" he asks. I purse my lips and look at the ceiling, thinking about class.

"Actually, I do have too much homework. Chem gave us notes we gotta do, I didn't finish the history assignment-"

"Hold up, you, Keiara Penelope Woods, the queen of doing things on time and or early as hell, didn't finish?" Jack questions, very surprised. Rachel punches his arm and he looks at her. "What? You know I'm right!! Kei is always finishing things and turning them in before the rest of the class can even start on the first sentence!!"

"Now I know you're exaggerating," I say, rolling my eyes. He grins at me and I can see his perfect white teeth. No wonder I used to have a crush on him all those years ago. He's still cute to me, but, he's my best friend and we made a pact not to date our friends. No matter how tempting. And Jack is super tempting. "Anyways, I've got those that I gotta do and I have no idea how English will go with Ms. Williams, so maybe tomorrow? Or Friday?"

"Or, neither of those and we hang out today. You guys are welcome too if you'd like," Rachel says. Xavier looks at his brother who nods like a bobblehead.

"We'll join you." Jack looks like he wants to punch one of them in the face, or maybe Rachel, since she suggested it, who looks like she might explode. I shake my head at her and dedicate myself to actually finishing my lunch. Kinda wish I had grabbed an apple too.

"Question is, where are we hanging out at?" Simon asks, glancing at me. Jack ponders his question, as does Rachel before they both get a mischievous smile on their faces and look at each other.

"Keiara's house!" they shout in unison. My jaw immediately stops chewing as I look up to stare at both of them, pizza sauce on my face.

"Why my house? Can't we go to your guys' house or something? The park? Anywhere but my house," I groan. 'They know what's going on, but I don't want them to see how bad it actually is..' Rachel grins, glancing at Simon and Xavier. My eyes widen and it feels like my heart stopped. "No."

"Aw c'mon Kei. We almost never go to your house!!" Rachel whines. She pouts her lip and gives me her cutest puppy dog face, knowing I'd cave. Not this time love. Not this time..

"No, thats final," I say, opening my chocolate milk. She sighs and pulls out her phone, no doubt texting Jack about how mean I am. His phone chimes as if in tune with my thoughts. He nods, agreeing with whatever text Rach sent him. I sip my milk casually before looking at Si and Xavi. "So, if you don't mind me asking, where are you guys from?"