3. Top Secret

Unedited*

A/N: 

Ok! So. I did a little bit of research on how Africans were treated in ancient China and well... similarly to America, Africans were brought there as slaves starting in the Tang Dynasty. They were referred to as Kunlun and were deemed as ignorant, dangerous, scary people. More Chinese people were enslaved than African, but the rich thought that African people were more exotic and were usually the ones who interacted with Africans the most. Despite the bad rep, there was more positivity expressed when portrayed in Chinese stories. In later dynasties it is also revealed that enslaved Africans are treated different than free Africans. This is just the surface of what I learned while reading this article, so feel free to use this link to read more:

https://www.blackpast.org/global-african-history/perspectives-global-african-history/africans-and-african-americans-china-long-history-troubled-present-and-promising-future/

If you want it DM'd to you directly, DM me and I'll send it when I get the chance. As a female African American, I found it interesting to read about. I just wanted you all to know that I tried not to BS Mei Xiu's backstory. I'm not exactly sure what dynasty inspired this C Drama, so I just tried to take small elements from this and make it work. Maybe one day with more time at my disposal, I'll dig a little deeper. :)  I hope that the mentions of slavery will not trigger anyone. I also hope you enjoy this update!

-JelloGelatin

Mei Xiu sat quietly in her room sketching out her grand plan on parchment with an ink-dipped brush. 

Kuang Lu watched the immortal quietly.

"I think we should make the color theme of the entire festival various hues of blue. We can have lanterns with dragons and dancers-"

"Where are we having this event?"

"Mmmm.... maybe in the mortal realm?"

"Doesn't that seem kind of tacky?"

"Well...I know a place that might work."

"Really? Where?"

Mei Xiu rubbed the back of her neck after putting the brush down. "When I was undergoing my trials in the mortal realm, I planted an entire forest of peach trees for an Emperor."

"An entire forest? By yourself?"

"There were other poor people working with me." The immortal hummed at the memory. "He wanted to win the heart of a beauty who loved peaches."

"Did he win her heart?"

"He did." Mei Xiu smiled. "I worked endlessly to make his dream a reality."

"How so?"

"In that lifetime, no one was ever able to finish planting all of those trees. When my immortality was restored I went back and finished planting them by hand."

"Why not with your powers?"

"It doesn't mean as much when you take short cuts."

"He must have meant a lot to you."

"Mm. Not in a romantic way. I just find it hard not to admire a determined soul."

"Hm." Kuang Lu furrowed her eyebrows. "You know what, Mei Xiu?"

"Hm?"

"I don't really know much about you." She furrowed her eyebrows further. "There aren't many immortals who look like you either."

The immortal chuckled. "Then ask whatever is troubling your mind and I will do my best to answer."

"Ok." The fairy perked up. "Who are you and where are you from? How did you become an immortal? Are you from a particular realm? Do you have a family? Is your spirit warm or cold? Why were you with Lord Doumu? Wha-"