15. The Snake, the Tiger, and the Fox

Yue Ya sat on top of the hut eating a handful of berries quietly while her companion worked quietly in the field down below.

It took time to fully recover from her injuries, but in the time of the mortal realm, the fairy was given plenty to make a full recovery.

Months had passed since she had last seen her friend.

The fairy had been debating on going to the heavenly realm to check in, but she didn't want to bother Liaoyuan with her thoughts of going.

He wasn't too fond of Mei Xiu after the rain incident and she couldn't bring herself to make him feel different.

Mei Xiu wasn't a bad person.

She just... breaks easily.

Brown eyes shifted to the blue sky as the snake fairy finished the last berry in her hand.

What would things be like when she saw the immortal again?

Would she apologize for attacking her?

Would she blame her for trying to help?

Would she be furious?

Would she still be the Xiu Xiu she had grown to love and adore- not only as a dear friend but almost like a sister?

The fairy closed her eyes and pouted as she tried to dismiss her frustration.

The soft sound of rain falling caught Yue Ya's attention, causing her eyes to open in the direction of the approaching pitter patter of rain. 

A lone figure riding a cart being pulled by a bull quickly captured her searching eyes. 

They had on a large hat that guarded them from the sun and clattered with each bounce of the cart.

The snake fairy tilted her head as she watched them approach the barrier.

Most mortals just ride by the barrier, so why was this one approaching like they intended on entering?

"Fox face."

The immortal looked up to see his lover leap gracefully from the top of their shared hut before she landed and pointed at the person entering the barrier with their bull.

The masked man stood up and dusted himself off before approaching the person riding towards them.

Yue Ya stayed by the hut as she watched Liaoyuan approach the now stopped cart.

"You must not be a mortal if you saw my barrier."

The person stood up and nodded.

"What brings you here?"

They pointed at the snake fairy.

"What about her?"

They lifted the covering of their cart to reveal ten large vases of wine.

Tears streamed down the fairy's face as she ran towards the cart, immediately recognizing the wine vases.

"X-Xiu Xiu?"

The figure carefully dropped to a knee.

Yue Ya stepped forward and gently removed the beaded hat to see her friend looking down with shame. "I'm sorry for hurting you Yue Ya." The immortal shifted downward into a kotow. "I made you bleed and I never came back to check on you and-"

"S-Stop. Don't kotow. Get up-"

"Not until I finish apologizing."

"I forgive you- please-"