Chapter 3 ~ Stronger Than Army Regulations

The last thing Molly needed was for her future mother in law to have a grudge against her.

Mum, she can wear what ever she wants. If she wants to wear those shoes than she can. Charles said defending her.

No, its okay Charles she can have her own opinion. She said she then turned to face Charles mother. You know what, I grew up my whole life being put down by my own father, I felt worthless. Then I joined the army and I felt like I had a purpose, so I dont need you to continue to put me down, you know why, because I dont care. I dont care about your opinions; I will dress however I want. You also want to know something. We invited you here because we wanted to tell you guys that we ever engaged. So there.

Oh my god, congratulations I didnt know. I am so happy for you guys. His mother said to her.

Dont act like that. Charles told her, getting angry

What am I not able to be happy for you guys. She standing starting to get angry too.

You know what, we were going to make a nice dinner and announce our news, but if are going to go from criticising my fiancé one minute and then happy and wanting to be nice the next, you can leave. We dont want you in our house if you are going to act that way. So, until you can be nice to Molly and accept her for who she is then you cannot come back until you can, so you need to leave. Charles said

Charlie, its fine really, can we just have dinner. Molly said trying to defend herself.

His name is Charles. That it his name and that is what you will call him. Do you understand? she said turning towards Molly.

Mum, she can call me what ever she wants. If she wants to call my Charlie, then she can call me Charlie. If she wants to call me Charles, then she can call me Charles. You know why because I dont care. So, because you cannot respect my fiancé than you need to leave. And dont bother calling to coming around until you can learn to give her the respect she deserves. Charles said rising his voice a bit. He then points to the door. She hesitates for a bit before Charles dad steps in.

Look maybe we should go, give them some space for a bit. He told her guiding her to the door. They disappear and a few seconds later the hear the door close. Molly blew out a breath of air she didnt even know she was holding in. She then waled into the kitchen needing something to drink. She opens the bottle of wine she had bought for dinner she reaches for a glass pouring herself a generous amount of wine. She then take drink from the glass. Feeling the cool wine hit the back of her throat, she bows her head down closing her eyes for a short among on time.

She didnt need to turn around to know he was standing in the door frame. She didnt turn around; she couldnt look at him right now. Did he really think she couldnt defend herself? She just wanted to enjoy a nice normal dinner with her future in laws and announce their news to them. However, he had to step in and make her feel like she couldnt defend herself.

Do you want me to make you something to eat? he asked

You know what, Im not really hungry, I'm just going to head to bed, I will see you in the morning. She said finishing off her wine before walking out of the room and upstairs. Charles followed her he allowed her some space to get changed. He then walked in as she was moving the extra pillows off the bed, before pulling back the covers.

Molly, can you talk to me, what is going on? why wont you say anything to me? he asked softly.

I dont need you defending me. I grew up defending myself. I was nothing to my dad growing up, I then joined the army and made something of myself. I feel like I just took ten steps back. I dont need you defending my honour. I just wanted to share our happy news with someone. I wanted to feel like I had someone to support me through it. Your parents were going to be them. I knew my parents werent going to do it. She said a couple of tears running down her face.

I'm sorry. I just couldnt sit back and watch her disrespect you like that. I'm sorry. He said pulling her into a hug.

Its okay. It was kinda hot, you defending me like that. She said with a small laugh.

They then got into bed and she immediately put her head onto his chest snuggling deeper down into the blanket. At that point she remembered back to an interaction on tour when he said nothing is stronger than army regulations, but she still believed that their love was in fact stronger than army regulations. With a small smile on her face her eyes slowly closed as she fell into a slumber.

At that point Charles mind wandered to the divorce papers which are still sitting in the top draw of his desk. He still doesnt know how to tell her. He was still married, and he wanted to marry someone else. He didnt even realise that his eyes had fallen shut. The next morning, he woke up moving his arm over to the other side of the bed. Expecting to find Molly there, he found it empty. Sitting up he looked over at the clock. It was only 7 am. He then turned to find Molly sitting on the edge of her side of the bed. Her shoulders were stiff as she stared ahead, her eyes fixed on the wall.

Molly, you okay? he asked sitting up further.

Your still married. She told him, not turning around. Her body language not changing.

What? he asked in confusion.

YOUER. STILLED. MARRIED. She said through gritted teeth. Turning around she dropped the papers in his lap.

Your still married, and what, you just forgot to let me in on this information. She said, standing up tears in her eyes.

Where did you find them? he asked bowing his head a bit.

In the top draw of your desk. I was looking for a sticky note. I was going to go for a run and leave you a note. You want to know what I was met with? Divorce papers. And the fact you are still married. She said her voice raising.

Molly, please let my explain.

No, I need sometime. I'm going out, I will be back later.

With that she walked off, out of their room and out the front door. Looking down at the divorce papers sitting in his lap, he let out a breath. Standing up he took the divorce papers into his office, grabbing a pen and signing his name on the line. He then slipped them into the envelope and walked to small distance to the letterbox down the street putting the envelope inside. Letting out another breath, this one different that the last. It was a breath of relief, except he now had to tell Molly.

Getting home, he made himself a cup of coffee and sat down on the couch, he didnt move until he heard the front door open and close. He heard her footsteps ascending the stairs and the bathroom door close. He still sat there completely numb. He was still trying to figure out how to talk to her.

He didnt know how long she was in there fore, but he then heard her footsteps descending the stairs. She walked past him in her uniform.

Why are you in your uniform. He asked her, his eyes not moving off of the wall he was staring at.

I got called into the base to cover a class. I will be bake later. She said moving to stand next to the couch. She picked up her watch slipping it onto her wrist and doing it up. She then picked up her phone and slipped it into her pocket. Taking off her necklace which he had gotten her when they first got home from tour, sitting it onto the top of the table. At a slight hesitation, she also slipped off her engagement ring and placing it onto the table.

Walking to the front door. She sat on the bottom step like she always does, slipping on her combat boots tightening up the laces, tucking in the ends of her pants before grabbing her keys and beret. Remembering her bag was still in her office, she quickly moved through the house into her office to collect her backpack. She then grabbed a water bottle out of the fridge and slipped it into the side pocket of her backpack.

Moving back through the house she walked through the door and unlocked the car. Putting her backpack into the passenger seat before pulling out of the driveway. It wasnt a very long drive to the base. Pulling up she showed her ID before parking the car. This is what she needed to take her mind off of the fact her fiancée is still married.

Charles on the other hand sat looking at her engagement ring that was currently sitting on the small table by the couch. This didnt mean she was ending the relationship, it just meant that she didnt wear it to the base. Everything was going to be okay; he thinks.