Chapter 10

I went to the mail room to look for Sammy after sending out the email that the Lion wants. He was busy sorting out the outgoing letters, but he beamed when he saw me. I walked over to him and sat on the chair nearby, taking some of the letters so that I didn’t look like I was just wasting time there.

                “I’m sorry I burst in your office that way,” he said, as I smiled, “Did the boss get mad? Am I in trouble?”

                “Nah, don’t you worry your head about it,” I said, “He’s a nice guy.”

                “Is something going on between you guys?” he asked me inquisitively. I glared at him.

                “What made you say that?”

                “I didn’t say it,” he said quickly, “I’ve just been hearing some rumors…”

                “Who’s been saying things like that?” I asked him. He looked around cautiously, before lowering his voice.

                “You know Keisha,” he said as I nodded my head, “Well, she told to Gina and Olivia who asked me whether you’re dating the boss or not.”

                “Why and how?”

                “Keisha saw you go out with Mr. Lucas in his car a time or two before,” he replied as I growled internally, “Her closest friends are Gina and Olivia, and Olivia knows that we’re friends so she asked me.”

                “What did you tell her?”

                “That your personal matter is none of my business and that you’d kick my butt if I asked you anything personal,” he said solemnly, I couldn’t help but chuckle. I know that if he wanted to know anything he’d just ask and he’d never tell anyone.

                “Well, you can gladly tell your girlfriend that, no, Mr. Lucas and I aren’t seeing each other,” I said, somewhat disappointedly, “He has a girlfriend, remember. We saw him with her when we went for a movie.”    

                “Did we?”

                “You may not have realized – at the time you were pretty preoccupied with Olivia.”

                “Oh,” Sammy said, his expression changing.

                “I mean, of course you’d be preoccupied,” I said, “I don’t blame you. But the reason I get into Mr. Lucas’ car is solely due to work matters and it was only once, not twice.”

                “I understand,” he said, “I know you’d tell me if you had anything with him.”

                “Of course I would,” I said, “Now hand me that parcel, boy.”

                Wait, parcel boy? Did the Lion mean Sammy? Did he think that Sammy and I were an item? Well, if he mistook us to be on a date at the cinema that few months back then it could be that he thought we’re dating. What can I do to make him not think that? Well, maybe it’s better this way. At least I wouldn’t be burdened by wondering how he feels about me. This is the only way that I can ensure that I do not fall deeper for him.

                “Are you day dreaming?” Sammy asked me as I smiled at him. I seemed to be day dreaming a lot lately. Just then my cell phone rang. I answered it without looking at the screen.