Chapter 23

I stared at Sean, dumbfounded. Did he really think what he said was true?

                “You still like me, after all this time, don’t you?” he repeated as I stared at him.

                “What would even make you say that?” I asked him, too repulsed to even feel flattered.

                “Why else would you get angry and jealous when I talked about all my exes?”

                Oh god, he CANNOT be serious! I never listened to half of what he said.

                “I was not jealous!” I spat out the word jealous, “I told you I have a horrible headache – surely you can’t take that wrongly!”

                “Relax Sam,” he said, rubbing my arm, making me fume even more, “I know how egoistical you are. I remember in camp you didn’t want to admit you liked me until I coaxed you for so long. You don’t have to admit it if you don’t want to.”

                I breathed in and out, trying to calm my anger. How dare this… this clown come up to me and accuse me of still being in love with him? I have moved on from him for a long time and his accusation is baseless! What was it I usually do when I’m mad? Oh yeah, count to ten. One… two… three… four hundred… one million… god, this is not helping me!

                “Look here, Sean,” I said, trying to be as docile as possible, “I don’t know what’s going through your mind now, but I’ve had a long day and I really need to get back home. I will see you some other time when you’re more sober.”

                “But… but…” he spluttered. I never waited for him to talk as I spun on my heels and collided with someone’s chin.

                “OW!” I cried out as the person gasped. I looked up into Ryan’s green eyes. Ryan? What is he doing here? He was holding his chin, but his eyes were trained on Sean and then to Sean’s hand which was still gripping mine.

                “My head hurts!” I whined until he tore his gaze away from Sean and looked at me, his expression unreadable. I saw his hand move a fraction in a bid to probably rub my head, but he stopped as Sean pulled me back and fussed over me.

                “Don’t be so clumsy, Sam,” Sean said, rubbing my head as I winced in pain, “Do you want me to get you any medicine?”

                “No, Sean, I’m fine,” I bit out, looking at Ryan with guilt. What is going on through his mind at this moment? He looked at me impassively, and to be frank, I’m actually scared of this look. I’ve never seen him this… this mad. Was he mad?

                “Ryan,” I said, but he ignored me, “Mr. Lucas, I’m sorry.”

                He gazed at me, and back at Sean again who can’t seem to keep his hand off my arm. I tried to pull away but to no avail.

                “Ryan, are you okay?” Sean asked as he took a breath and nodded his head.

                “Go ahead with your date,” he said, “I have other matters to settle.”

                Before leaving, he glanced at me. I tried to reach out for him, but he merely glared at me and walked away. Ryan, save me from Sean! I might as well have been yelling to a wall.

                “Sean, let me go,” I yanked my hand free off him, “Please don’t bother me.”

                I rushed towards where Ryan left, but I saw no sign of him. Where did he disappear to? Did he think I was seeing Sean behind his back? Did he care about me? Why was he angry when he saw us together? Nothing makes any sense. Ryan – why are you drifting away from me?