Chapter 19

I looked into his eyes as he broke the kiss, my emotions flying all over the place. He giggled and turned away, lying down on the rug, sighing. I sat there for god knows how long – my thoughts running wild – contemplating what just happened. I looked at him to see him closing his eyes with a contented smile upon his face. My face was simply too hot and I feel so confused. Did he just kiss me or did I just imagine it to happen again?

                I felt my lips, it felt the same – how would I know what’s the truth. Oh come off it Sam, you know he kissed you for real. I can still feel the tingling feeling the impression of his lips left on mine. Oh god, this is so complicated. The fireworks that burst during the kiss are still there. I had to lie down to calm my head. My breathing became rapid and shallow. Is this how it feels like to really kiss him?

                I turned sideways to look at him – afraid that I might only be imagining him by my side. As if on cue, he turned to look at me, smiling.

                “We’re probably going to forget that tomorrow,” he said as my heart fell. We’re too drunk. I hope I would remember the kiss though – I wanted a good memory of tonight to be etched in my brains even if we never ended up together, “Look a shooting star!”

                    I looked at the sky, just as a shooting star shot by. My mind was jumbled up with emotions, but I knew what I wished for that night.

                    Oh no, the horrible hangover – the sign that I should not consume alcohol – is pounding on my head. Why don’t I ever learn? I opened my eyes cautiously, to see that I am on my couch. How did I get here? What happened last night, again?

                I remember going out, having some crazy time with Ryan, drinking, talking – and then now I’m on my couch. Ryan! Where is he? I looked around the house, but I couldn’t find him. Where’s my phone when I needed it? I found my phone in my hand bag – obviously.

                “Hello, Ryan?” I asked as he answered just after two rings.

                “Who’s this?” he asked groggily.

                “It’s me, Sam!” I snapped, “Where are you?”

                I heard some shuffling, some groaning and finally,

                “I’m at home,” he mumbled, “How’d I get home?”

                “Were we drunk?”

                “No, Sam,” he answered as I heard him shuffling out of bed; “The aliens kidnapped us, probed us and then wiped our memories clean.”

                “What?” I gasped.

                “That was a joke Sam, sheesh,” he said, “I’m going to be late – see you at work.”

                “Can I take the day off, please?” I whined, “I have a horrible hangover.”

                “Do I sound like I’m Mr. Jolly here?” he asked, “I have a horrible one as well. Take an Advil or something then get to work. We have a meeting – can’t you remember?”

                Oh I have forgotten that with my preoccupation on the human called Ryan. I groaned as I hung up the phone and got to work. There was no medicine in my possession and I was running late as it is, so I went to work with a pounding head. Maybe I can ask Sammy to get me something later. Ryan called the office phone as soon as I arrived.