Chapter 12

By Monday I was getting used to having an empty shell in my heart, also with the excitement that buzzed around the office for the beach party this weekend. All everyone could talk about was the party. Sammy excitedly told me that he wants to enjoy the party with Olivia this weekend – as he will try his best to woo her. I wished him luck – a lot – as he might need it, seeing as she is still running around following Keith.

              Sean actually called me out for a drink but I refused – saying that I was busy, when in fact I wasn't interested in catching up with him. I barely had anything in common with him when we were younger; I doubted that would've changed. Besides, I didn't want to aggravate the lion further by hanging out with his buddy.

              The only one that seemed indifferent to the beach party was our little lion himself. By Wednesday, my anger and disappointment in him had cooled down enough for me to try and bring up his mood for the party. I brought him a cup of coffee as a peace offering as I entered his office. He looked at me dubiously as I entered.

              "What's that?" he asked his eyes on the coffee cup that I placed on his table.

              "Peace offering," I said as he narrowed his eyes at me.

              "For what?"

              "Well, you're angry with me, and I don't like us fighting, so I thought that this would be a nice offering," I said as he watched me, his eyes unblinking. Did I say something wrong?

              "I'm not angry with you, Sam," he said softly as I sighed and sat on the chair in front of him.

              "It's okay, sir," I said, "I get it. You're not sure what's going on between us and let me make it clear – we're friends. Friends fight, but they also friend each other back. If one friend is angry with the other, the other would try and comfort them so that they are excited for the party this weekend."

              "Oh," he said, "You just wanted me to be excited for the party?"

              "That, and also since you told me to forget about what happened last week, I have forgotten about it and I hope things can go back to before that day," I said, "I enjoy teasing you and I like it when you are rude and sarcastic to me. Trust me, you being nice is weird to me. And you ignoring me is not cool."

              "Really?"

              "Yeah," I said, putting on a big smile. It is actually true that I didn't want things to be awkward between the both of us. So what if I couldn't get him – as long as I can be his friend is enough for me. I had a lot of thinking done during the weekend, "Besides, if I can't argue with you, who else can I argue with?"

              "Oh, Sam," Ryan said, smiling after what seemed like a long time, "You sure know how to make people happy."

              "Yeah, and drink up your coffee," I said as he looked at it curiously.

              "Is it sweet?"

              "Oh, Ryan, come on," I said, "You know I won't make it that sweet for you."

              "I know you did it on purpose the first time, Sam," he said as I rounded my eyes at him.

              "That is a serious accusation, sir," I said as he chuckled.

              "I'll let it slide this time," he said, "The next time you play a prank on me, I'd give you back."

              "Give me what back?" I asked, faking innocence, "A thousand million dollar?"