Chapter 12: An Unlikely Ally

The sun began to peak over the horizon, as the crew of the Wicked Revenge stood, surrounding their attackers who've now had their wrists tied, and have been positioned so that in a moment's notice the crew can knock them overboard. John leaned into the face of the girl he'd come to blows with now twice.

     "Best start talkin' or I'll start cutting of fingers one by one" he growled through his clenched jaw.

     "And why the hell would I talk to a pirate?" she repleid. John pressed the barrel of his pistol at the base of her neck.

     "Cause it might save your life miss."

     "John, enough." Said Les approaching from behind. "Who are you 'M'? And I mean who are you really?" She looked up at Les. Months of piracy had seemed to take its toll on the young captain. Bags under his eyes from sleepless nights, and his hair and beard had frayed, and seemed unkempt.

     "My name is Mooney, 'Monkey-Business' Mooney" she answered. "I head a group of mercenaries who protect the Merchant Alliance, and her ships from the likes of pirates like you lot."

     Les leaned forward. "You think us lawless killers, and lesser men. You think we kill for sport yes?" The girl turned away and stared blankly at the sea. "We have a code, we have morals. We're not bloodthirsty heathens. We pick our targets, corrupt captains for the Alliance. Captains who take more than their fair share of coin from contracts, leaving their crew penniless, and scrambling to make ends meet. Captains that collect and transport unregistered cargo, so they can pocket the extra profits for themselves. Miss Mooney, we aren't the greedy ones. We aren't the thieves. The Merchant Alliance is." Les stood up and turned away.

     "I'd have been set for life you know?" said Mooney. Intrigued, Les stopped to listen. "The bounty on you, the legendary "Close-Call" Paul is 850,000 gold alone. Not including the bounty on the rest of your crew."

     "They'll never pay it in full" said Jackboot, approaching the mercenary captain. "They coax you into thinking they will, they'll raise the bounty over a million. They do it to stop pirates from intercepting cargo, and that's the end of it. When you turn in the bounty, they'll give you an up-front five grand, and tell you the rest 'is coming' but it never does."

     "And why should I trust you?" Mooney growled. "You're just trying to brainwash me."

"Because I was one of them!" shouted Jackboot. "I was exiled! Forced out of the Alliance for standing up for my crew. I've seen people turn in bounty contracts to the Alliance, and they never get more than five thousand gold."

     "You're Jack Thomas?" asked Mooney, bewildered. "They said you set up a mutiny. Staged a rebellion against the captain. It's no wonder you were banished."

     "I did no such thing. And we're losing sight of the point. 'M', you're playing for the wrong team. The Alliance will do nothing but take."

     "And why should I believe the words of a pirate? A defector? A mutinous crewmate? Your words are hollow Jack Thomas, it's no wonder you were exiled from the Alliance!" retorted Mooney "I'll get my bounty, in full, I know it."

     "And how will you do that with your hands tied, hmm?" asked Blackheart. "You've nowhere to go but where we say."

     "I've an idea miss, hows about we toss you overboard, and let Davy Jones decide your fate?" snarled John. The large first mate's eyes grew wide.

     "Please, I don't likes the sharks! Don't turn me into shark food." He asked. Les turned and walked towards him, calmly.

     "Ah yes, Dan. You're miss Mooney's loyal first mate, yes?" Les asked, Dan nodded. "A first mate's opinion is always of great value to their captain, or it should be. What do you think your Captain should do?"

     "Well, I thinks she should stop tryin' to chase yous" he answered. "You lot seems pretty dangerous, and I don't wants to die" Les grinned and turned back to Mooney, who now had an angry scowl on her face.

     "Sounds like your first mate thinks that you should end your pursuit of us" he said.

     "I'll end my chase, when I turn in your bounty to the Alliance." She growled "No sooner".

     "You won't get the damned bounty!" shouted Nick. "What will it take for you to realize that?!"

     "Why don't we make a deal Mooney?" asked Les.

     "I don't deal with pirates." She answered, glaring at the young captain. John kneeled down and got right in her face.

     "You deal with whoever has your hands tied. Looks to me, like that's us." He said.

     "We'll take you to any outpost you want, and you can turn in your bounty." Said Les, as the crew turned to the captain, bewildered.

     "What that hell?!" exclaimed Nick. "You're selling us out?!"

     "Nay" replied Les. "Allow me to finish. Miss Mooney will turn in our bounty to the Alliance, in the form of our ship. Explaining she captured us all and brought the ship back as proof. If the Alliance agrees, and pays her in full, we'll cooperate and turn ourselves in. However, if the Alliance offers the five grand up front payment, we show ourselves from below deck, and set off back to Galleon's Grave."

     "Your damned mad captain!" shouted John. "You're gonna get us killed!"

     "Or, we'll finally be able to convince Mooney here, that the Alliance is greedier than any pirate she's likely encountered."

     "I don't like it cap'n" said Blackheart. "Seems risky."

     "Aye, but we don't kill for sport, and we've nothing to gain from killing these two, other than the seas becoming a little less exciting." Answered Les, he turned to Mooney. "If they offer you the five thousand gold take it, and return to the ship. I'll pay you double on top of it, as a show of good faith." Mooney stared at the captain for a moment. She thought it over in her head. It seemed to easy, they were practically turning themselves in. There's no way the Alliance wouldn't pay the full bounty"

     "You have yourself a deal. And before long, I'll be swimming in millions of gold from the bounties on you lot." She answered. Les chuckled.

     "Alright then ma'am, where are we headed then?" He asked.

     "Morrow's Peak Outpost, the Devil's Roar."