Chapter 5: Galleon's Grave

As the sun rose, peeking over the horizon, the crew of the Wicked Revenge began furling their sails, in preparation to port at their new port-of-call, Galleon's Grave Outpost. The island was tall, and barren, save for the carcass of a galleon perched on her peaks, where the island got its namesake, and the handful of buildings and tents on shore, just off the docks. The crew all stood at the port side of the ship, as the captain manned the helm, slowly easing them into port. John turned to Les, and began walking to the helm.

       "Follow my lead." He said, "These people know me, and likely think I'm dead, so I'll do the talking." Les looked confused, but agreed.

       "Master Wells! Haul in the mizzen mast, Chris, man the capstan, and John be ready to go ashore!" Shouted Les. The crew quickly obliged and the stolen merchant vessel coasted cleanly to port. "Drop the anchor!" commanded Les. Christopher released the anchor and after a few seconds of listening to the ticking of the chains on the capstan, the crew heard a thud as the ship gently rocked to a stop.

       "Alright cap'n, I'll speak with one of my former contacts." Said John. "Once I get ashore, go speak to the shipwright about refitting the ship, she should be able to help you, Scarlet is an old friend."

       "Aye" replied Les. "Nick, Chris, go below and begin readying the cargo to sell, most valuable goods go first." The first mate, and sailing master ran below deck and began sorting through the loot, and Les turned back towards the stairs to the upper top deck and proceeded to climb them. Once he reached the top, he leaned on the rail, watching John walk down the docks. He noticed the people he passed had bewildered looks on their faces. Once he approached the shore, he walked to the local Gold Hoarders' tent, and began talking. Les walked back down the stairs, and to the plank, before jumping off, and landing on the dock. Proceeding down the dock, he nodded to the local merchant, and walked up the stairs at the end to the shipwright's shop.

       "Ahoy there ma'am, would you be Scarlet by chance?" Les asked. The shipwright placed her hammer on the counter, and looked up at the ship sitting at her dock, and then at Les.

       "And who's askin' hmm? That ain't one of my ships." She replied, pointing at the stolen galleon in the harbor.

       "I'm Captain Les 'Close-Call' Paul" answered Les "A friend of Master Loobe." The shipwright's eyes now fixed on Les, inquisitively.

       "I thought he were dead?" she said, "His ship and crew were destroyed, long ago, in an ambush off Shipwreck Bay." Les grew puzzled. John hadn't mentioned any of this to him, so it was all coming as a surprise. He decided to dwell on it later, and returned to his conversation with Scarlet.

       "Na ma'am, he's very much alive, and he told me you could assist us in getting the ship refitted." He replied.

       "And why would ye need the ship refitted?" asked Scarlet. Les got really close, and leaned on her counter, whispering his reply.

       "We've stolen it, as our own pirate vessel." Les leaned back to where he stood moments ago, and the shipwright was quiet for a moment, before bursting out in laughter, which confused Les.

       "Do ye know where ye are mate?!" exclaimed Scarlet "Ye don't have to keep yer new occupation a secret! We're all bloody pirates at Galleon's Grave!" just as she finished laughing at Les, John walked up to the two of them and turned to Scarlet.

       "Miss Scarlet! It's been a while!" he said, "I presume you've met my new captain?" Scarlet wiped a tear from her eye.

       "Ah yes, we've had a chat, and I understand you're lookin' to refit your ship." She answered "I'll help ye this one time mates, but my services won't be free next time, just helpin' out an old friend." Nodding to John.