Chapter 14: A Hunter's Reward

The sun peeked over the towering structures of Morrow's Peak, flooding the dock with a hazy orange light, and shining on the infamous hull of the Wicked Revenge as she sat moored just offshore of the island. Mooney and Dan, both free from the brig, released the rowboat from the ship's stern, and rowed to the beach.

     "Wait at the boat" commanded Moony, as the two reached the shore. "I'll be right back." She briskly walked to the dock, the proceeded to Matilda at the merchant stand.

     "Good morning ma'am, here to run some cargo?" she asked. 'M' dropped her ships log on the table, returned to her by Les. "I'm sorry, what's this?"

     "My ships log, retrieved from the crew of the Wicked Revenge." Matilda stared at the girl in awe.

     "You mean...?

     "Aye, they're below deck, in the brig. As well as one of your defectors, and some mystic from the Order."

     "That is... very impressive miss Mooney, very impressive indeed."

     "It's no bother, they were murderous curs." She answered. "My reward?"

     "Ah yes, they did have quite the bounty. Couple million in gold correct?" asked Matilda

     "Aye"

     "Unfortunately, I'm not sure we can fulfill the bounty in full. At least, not yet."

     "What?" asked Mooney, with a growl.

     "We just don't keep that amount of coin at any one outpost. The best we can do is five thousand." Answered Matilda.

     "Five thousand? And what of the rest?!" demanded Mooney. "That'll barely cover the shot I used!"

     "I'm afraid I can't say, it would have to be shipped from other outposts, a month? Maybe two?"

     Mooney shifted her gaze to the pirate galleon anchored in the harbor. They were right, the Alliance was dodging payment. After all she had done, risking her neck to protect merchant vessels on the seas, and this is her payment, a measly five thousand gold for retrieving the fiercest pirates on the seas. Pitiful.

     "Fine. Just give me what you've got." She said angrily. The merchant handed her a heavy pouch.

     "Thank you for your service miss Mooney, we'll be sure to get the rest of your coin as soon as we can. Is there anything else?"

     "That'll be all" she answered, turning to walk away.

     "Miss, you've forgotten your book!" Shouted Matilda.

     "Keep it." Called Mooney as she walked away.

     As she walked back to the rowboat, she wondered what to do. All she had known was now in shambles. Is the Alliance telling the truth? Or could the pirates be right? Surely not, pirates are evil, they cheat, steal, and lie. No pirate could be a good man.

     "What's the story Cap'n?" asked Dan.

     "Back to the Revenge."

     "I begs your pardon Cap'n?"

     "I said, back to the Revenge. A deal is a deal..." The two of them rowed back to the ship. As they climbed aboard, they proceeded to the cabin, where the crew had remained hidden. Les stepped forward.

     "Greetings again 'M', how did the Alliance find your newest acquisition?" he asked. She threw the pouch of coin to him.

     "They gave me five thousand... The rest will be delivered later..." she answered, hesitantly. "A deal is a deal." She looked up to the captain, who looked almost sorry for her. He stepped around his table, and opened a drawer.

     "Aye. A deal is a deal." He said, grabbing two large pouches from the drawer. "But, as I said, we're not greedy monsters." He dropped the two large pouches next to hers on the table. "Twenty thousand." He proclaimed. Mooney looked at the table, confused.

     "Why?" she asked.

     "I believe people should be properly rewarded. While I can't pay the Alliance's bounty for us, twenty-five thousand is much fairer than five." She grabbed a pouch, testing its weight.

     "There must be more to it than that." Les looked down and sighed, before looking back to her.

     "Aye, there's more." He said. "You're quite the fighter, and with the right ship and crew, you could be one hell of a pirate." Mooney glared.

     "Absolutely not." She said.

     "Hear me out. We are looking for crews, to build our own fleet. Our own faction among the seas, for those who seek freedom, coin, and adventure, without being belittled and cheated."

     "And what makes you think I'd join?" asked Mooney. "Your bribe? If that's what you think, keep it."

     "I just want everyone to be equal." Answered Les. Imagine a fleet of free men and women, with equal share in the loot." Mooney considered it. It did seem nice, but she hated pirates, and all they stood for.

     "I must decline... At least for now." She said. "Maybe one day, but my whole world was shaken today, and I've got a lot to think about." Les nodded.

     "Aye, I understand. If you change your mind, you know where to find us though." She nodded.

     "Thanks for giving me a different perspective on piracy," She said, as she proceeded out the captain's cabin. "Let's go Dan, we've business to attend to."

     "Aye aye cap'n" he said, bumbling out behind her. They dove into the water and swam to shore. As they reached the beach, she turned to see the Wicked Revenge sailing full billow to the west. Matilda came running to the shore, red in the face.

     "What the hell just happened?!" she shouted. "Where are they going?!"

     "I'm not sure, they must have broken loose while I was ashore. I suppose we can catch them in a month, maybe two?" she said, shoving her way past the merchant, and proceeding towards the tavern. Matilda began shouting and cursing at her, but she couldn't make out the words. All she could think about was the offer she was given.

     Could she really be apirate?