Chapter 13: The Gamble of a Lifetime

Waves crashed against the Wicked Revenge, as she and her crew made their way east, to the most dangerous region in the Sea of Thieves; The Devil's Roar. A region peppered with erupting volcanoes, soot and ash in the sky, and geysers bursting from the ground, kept most sailors away. Les walked down from the helm to the crew, though before he could speak, Blackheart approached him.

              "Les, if we may, John, Nick, and myself would like to speak with you, privately." He asked. Les looked to John and Nick who both nodded.

               "Aye, as you wish. Madame Oranges, please man the helm, keep us on course, and Jackboot, keep an eye on our prisoners please." Answered Les. The two nodded and immediately began their tasks. The rest of the crew filed into Les' cabin.

               "Captain, you can't seriously be considering this deal?" asked John. "It's far too risky."

               "Aye, this may be the most daft thing you've done yet." Said Nick. Les sat down at his desk and sighed.

               "I know this is risky mates, but this may be for the best." He answered. "This girl needs to see that the Alliance is the real enemy."

               "Then what?" asked John. "We just let her go free? So what, she finds out the Merchant Alliance is shady, and decides to quit helping them. What then? She could begin pirating and try to hunt us down too."

               "I have ideas John, don't worry." Replied Les.

               "We need to know these ideas Les, or we can't be on board." Said Nick. "We've been here from the start, we deserve to know." Les glanced down at his desk and sighed.

               "Alright. Imagine a world, where we didn't worry about every pirate on the seas. A world where we could be in charge of more than just ourselves." He answered. John looked a bit confused.

               "What are you getting at?" he asked.

               "A fleet. A group of pirate crews, all working together, for the benefit of each other, and led by none other than us, and the Wicked Revenge. We could entice crews with the thought of working for themselves, and keeping what they find. We could help turn new pirates, into a force to be reckoned with, and take the fight to the Merchant Alliance."

               "Have you gone soft Les?" asked John. "That sounds absurd!"

               "Does it though?" inquired Les. "Think about it. We'd be safe for a nights sleep, not having to constantly worry about ships pursuing us. Working together with other crews, and taking down larger hauls, for more profits?"

               "Ideally that sounds great Les, but that's quite a stretch" said Chris.

               "Even if we were on board, what makes this 'Mooney' character so special"? asked John.

               "Honestly? Nothing in particular. But her combat prowess, and determination appeal to the idea. She tracked us down and gave us a good run, twice. Could be a powerful ally."

               "Or a dangerous one" said Nick. "The Alliance has brainwashed her. She'll just scheme against us, and when we turn our backs, she'll run us through."

               "What can I do to ease this tension? Hmm?" Les asked. "Because this ship is meant to be a place where everyone in the crew gets a voice, so what can I promise, to make this go away?"

               The crew glanced at each other, before Blackheart stepped forward.

               "If it starts to go south, they both go." He said. Les leaned back in his chair.

               "As in-?"

               "Dead. We kill 'em" said John. "No loose ends." Les glanced at the rest of the crew

               "Aye." He said, "No loose ends."

               Below deck Jackboot stood guard at the brig, making sure that Mooney didn't try living up to the name "Monkey-Business"

               "So, they send a reject from the Alliance to guard me, eh? Pity they cast you out, you seem so loyal" she snarled. Jackboot turned red with anger.

               "I am loyal, and I've done nothing wrong." He replied, turning to face the cell. "I called out a man for greed and selfishness!"

               "You slandered your captain's name and paid the price!" said Mooney. "You should be thankful they didn't raise bounty on your head."

               "What don't you get about the Alliance 'M'?! They are cruel, greedy, selfish people. They don't care about you, or me, or any other soul among their ranks. All they want is their coin. You'll learn that soon enough, when they push back your bounty on Les, to a 'later date'. They won't pay you, they never pay the bounties in full, not for the true scoundrels they want hunted." He stepped back and leaned on a nearby barrel. "Why are you so hell-bent on taking down this crew? What makes this one special?"

               "He's a pirate" answered Mooney. "I hunt pirates."

               "But why Les? Why the 'Revenge'? And why do you have such a hatred for pirates? I've seen mercenaries that hunt pirates, but not with the sort of fire that you have."

               "Why do you care? You want me vulnerable? So you can wield it against me?"

               "I just want to understand. We're still humans here." Said Jackboot.

               "Hardly." Retorted Mooney. She hesitated and began to speak. "My family was on a long trip from the Ancient Isles, to the Shores of Plenty. We had started from Plunder Outpost early morning, and sometime mid-afternoon a galleon broke into view on the horizon, flying the black. Knowing full well what that meant, my parents changed course to a more north-easterly heading. The pirates though, they were smart. They tacked to cut us off, and it worked. By the time we came somewhere between Crooked Masts and Shark Tooth Key, they were at our port bow. They gave no warning, no bargain, and no quarter. Before we could ready guns the masts were blown to pieces, and the ship crippled. Their captain and his first mate came aboard, demanding we stand down as they searched the hold. When they discovered that we were only carrying some rare plants, and a few bundles of cloth, they opened fire in a fit of rage. My parents were... killed. Right in front of me. I was just 14 years old."

               Jackboot's expression grew sorrowful as he took a breath. "I'm deeply sorry for your loss, truly."

               "I killed them. The pirates." Continued Mooney. I jumped overboard when the shooting started and took the rowboat while they picked the ship clean and ensured there was nobody left. Then as they left, I tailed them to Sunken Grove. When night fell, I snuck aboard, and slit the throat of the night watch in the crow's nest, before killing all of the rest of the crew in their sleep. I found some gunpowder below deck and lit the fuse before jumping overboard." Mooney looked down, here eyes watering. "Who would do something like that? Raid an innocent ship with nothing of value? Then murder the crew in cold blood for what? Fun? Blood lust?"

               "Not all pirates are like that though. Some can be good pirates, as well as good men."

               "No pirate can be a good man."

               "Look, I understand your pain, your motive, all of it, I do. But Les is different. He goes after crews full of greed, and selfishness. He doesn't plunder innocent ships; he thinks it immoral. But truly I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope the Ferryman takes the finest care of your parents."

               "Yeah..." mumbled Mooney. "Thanks."

               "Why don't you try to rest, we should be at Morrow's Peak by morning, and you've hardly slept in days." Said Jackboot.

               As "M" closed her eyes, she wondered if the Merchant Alliance outcast was right. Maybe there was hope for some pirates. But she quickly dismissed the thought as she dozed off.

               Pirates will always be evil.