Chapter Forty-Two

Start from the beginning

I shifted in my seat to face him better. "It was very good. We got a few things done around the place, then I spoke to my parents on the phone."

Xavier's eyes lit up, and he glanced at me from the corner of his gaze. "How is their trip going?"

"Very well. They might come to visit my new place next month."

"That's wonderful. I hope I'll have the pleasure of meeting them then."

My heart skipped a beat. I never thought of introducing Xavier to my parents - he would be the first man I'd introduce to them. Although the thought made me nervous, it also thrilled me to some extent. I had a feeling my dad would enjoy his company very much.

"I hope so, too." I admitted, an excited grin sneaking its way up my face.

We continued the drive down the familiar streets in a comfortable silence. Xavier tapped his fingers against the steering wheel, and as I studied his motions, I came to realize that ever since I'd first met him this is the most relaxed he's been. There was a ghost of a smile playing on his lips, and he radiated off a feeling of great contentment.

I had decided then that this was my favorite image of Xavier to day - with no grim nor frown lines covering the smooth skin of his features, with that ghost of a smile playing on his lips, and that little extra sparkle in his shimmery gaze.

I wanted to make sure that he remained as so.

"So what are our plans for tonight?" I asked as soon as we took a turn from the busy streets of the city and towards the silent and empty roads that led to his estate.

"We'll dine in our open garden," Xavier responded, glancing at me from the corner of his eyes.

My face lit up just imagining the scenery.

"I hope you've dressed warmly," he remarked in sudden realization, his eyes roaming over my leather jacket and a slight frown creasing between his eyebrows when his eyes fell on my exposed knees.

"I have," I replied instantly, wishing that frown away.

Xavier hummed in contemplation, his eyes returning back to the road as he took a couple more turns.

A few minutes later, we arrived at the wide golden gates of Xavier's pack home. As we neared the entrance, my gaze took in the beauty of the flowing fountain set in the center of the driveway, as it glowed with a fairytale-like elegance.

Xavier parked the car by the front of the wide stairway leading to the double doors, and within seconds, as I had barely unbuckled my seatbelt, he'd arrived at my passenger door and opened it. Involuntarily, I flinched as I was taken aback by his sudden speed.

A cheeky grin spread across his face as I scowled at him.

"Sorry."

"It'll take some time to get used to that, for sure." I mumbled with a small smile as I stepped out of the car.

Our hands brushed as we stood side-by-side, ready to ascend the flight of stairs, and Xavier took opportunity of that short contact to trail his fingers across the back of my hand, before entwining them with my own. His warm hand engulfed mine and he led me to the front doors of his house.

The first thing to capture my attention as we entered was the fact that the place was much louder than the last time I'd been here. Contrary to my last visit, the house felt full of life as faint chattering and laughter echoed from all around the place.

When I glanced at Xavier, he offered me a reassuring smile, before leading me to where the open living-room space was. When we got closer, I found a group of people sitting around the couches conversing joyfully. They sensed our presence from a small distance away, and their voices lowered as their eyes came to study us nearing them. Instantly, they all stood from their places to greet us respectfully, their faces brightened by wide smiles.