Gridlock (Part 2)

"See? Another ten layers to go. We're scorching." Milo said as he pointed at the screen between him and Cheen. It showed them moving down the different layers of traffic.

There was a loud growling sound outside and Martha and Lorelai reached out to hold each other's hands. "What's that?" Martha asked as they heard another growl. "It's coming from underneath."

Cheen looked at Milo. "It's that noise, isn't it? It's like Kate said. The stories, they're true."

"What stories?"

Milo shook his head. "It's the sound of the air vents. That's all. The exuast fumes travel down, so at the base of the tunnel they've got air vents."

"No, but the stories are much better." Cheen turned back to the girls in the back. "They say people go missing on the Motorway. Some cars just vanish, never to be seen again, because there's something living down there in the smoke. Something huge and hungry, and if you get lost on the road, it's waiting for you."

They heard the sound again and Milo looked back at the screen. "Like I said, air vents. Going down the next layer."

"Look out there." Lorelai spoke as she gestured to the window. "Does it look like the air vents are working?"

Cheen frowned. "No."

There was another growl. "So what's that then?" She muttered in thought.

Milo was silent before shaking his head. "Nah. Kid stuff." He then picked up the CB Mic. "Car 465 diamond 6, on decent."

~~~

"We've got to go to the fast lane, take me down." The Doctor told Bran and Valerie.

Bran huffed. "Not in a million years."

"You've got three passengers."

"I'm still not going."

"They're alone and they're lost. They don't belong on this planet and it's all my fault. I'm asking you, Brannigan, take me down."

"That's a no." Valerie firmly stated. "And that's final. I'm not risking the children."

"Why not?" The Doctor paled. "What's the risk? What happens down there?"

"I'm not discussing it! This conversation is closed!"

"So we keep on driving?"

Bran nodded. "Yes, we do."

"For how long?!"

"Til' the journeys end."

The Doctor reached forward and grabbed the CB Mic. "Miss Cassini, this is the Doctor. Tell me, how long have you been driving on the Motorway?"

"Oh, we were among the first." Said the first lady. "It's been 23 years now."

"And in all that time, have you ever seen a police car?"

"...I'm not sure." Said the second one who was the car spotter.

"Look at your notes. Any police?"

"Not as such."

"What about ambulances." He continued. "Rescue service? Anything official? Ever?"

"I can't keep note of everything."

"What if there's no one out there?"

"Stop it." Bran snatched the CB Mic back. "The Cassinis were doing you a favor."

"Someone gotta ask." The Doctor told them. "Because you might not like talking about it but it's there, in your eyes. What if this traffic jam never stops?"