Gridlock (Part 1)

Martha sat in the pilot seat watching as the Doctor moved around the controls. "One trip. That's what I said. One trip, in the TARDIS, and then home." He said and glanced at Lorelai who was giving him big sad eyes that he was starting to struggle against. "Although..." he sighed. "I suppose we could...stretch the definition. Try one trip to the past, one trip to the future. How do you fancy that?"

"No complaints from me!" Martha laughed and Lorelai cheered.

He smiled. "How about... a different planet?"

"Can we go to your's?"

His smile dropped and Lorelai quickly went quiet. "Ah, there's plenty of other places!"

"Come on though," Martha jumped up and walked around to him. "I mean, planet of the Time Lords! That's got to be worth a look! What's it like?"

"Uh...well, it's beautiful. Yeah."

"Is it like, you know, outerspace cities, all spires and stuff?"

"Suppose it is."

"Great big temples and cathedrals!"

"Yeah..."

"Lots of planets in the sky?"

"The sky's a burnt orange," He muttered as he remembered. "With the Citadel encased in a mighty glass dome, shiny under the twin suns. Beyond that, mountains go on forever. Slopes of deep red grass caped with snow..." He trailed off and Lorelai reached out to hold his hand.

"Can we go there?" Asked Martha.

"Naah!" He suddenly exclaimed and started flipping switches. "Where's the fun for me? I don't want to go home! Instead..." the TARDIS shool as it landed and he looked at the computer screen. "This is much better. Year five billion and fifty-three, the planet New Earth!" He grabbed his coat and moved to the door. "Second hope of mankind! Fifty thousand light years from old world and we're slap bang in the middle of New New York. Although, technically, it's the fiftieth New York from the original. So it's New-New-New-New-New-New-New-New-New-New-New-New-New-New-New New York." He pushed the door opened. "One of the most dazzling cities ever built."

"Oh that's nice!" Martha exclaimed. It was pouring down rain outside and they got soaked immediately. "Time Lord version of dazzling."

"Nah, a bit of rain never hurt anyone!" The Doctor said as they started walking down the street.

"Well, it looks like the same old Earth to me," Martha joked. "On a Wednesday afternoon."

"Hold on, hold on. Let's have a look." He moved towards a T.V screen under an awning and pulled out his sonic screwdriver. He smacked it a couple times and it finally turned on to reveal a blonde news lady.

"... and the driving should be clear and easy, with fifteen extra lanes open for the New New Jersey expressway." The image changed to show New New York with cars flying around.

"Oh, that's more like it!" The Doctor tapped the screen. "That's the New I had last time. This must be the lower levels. Down in the base of the tower, some sort of under city."

Martha just crossed her arms. "You brought me to the slums?"

"Much more interesting! It's all cocktails and glitter up there! This is the real city."

"You enjoy anything." Lorelai giggled.

He grinned at her. "That's me. Oh, the rain's stopped! Better and better!" He started to walk but Martha stopped him.

"When you say last time, was that you and Rose?"

"Um...yeah. Yeah it was. Yeah."

"You're taking me to the same planets you took her?"