↠ korra (1)

in which you help korra through one of her avatar moods
-
The avatar huffed when she pushed through the door into the kitchen.

"Hey, Korra," I glanced up from my frosting.

She said nothing as she boosted herself up onto the countertop, almost knocking down a few chairs in the process.

I was icing a special cake I'd made Jinora for her birthday. She wanted it to look like a dragonfly bunny.

Korra watched from the counter as I began the first layer of yellow.

Though her energy was normally intense, a storm cloud seemed to hang around my girlfriend. Her blue eyes were intense with thought.

I knew better than to ask her what was wrong. If Korra even felt like I was beginning to push her, she would close up. When she was ready, she'd tell me.

Lucky for her, I was very patient.

"Is that for Jinora?" she broke her silence, looking down at the now-yellow cake.

"Mhm."

Korra crossed her arms.

"What is it?"

"Right now, it's a big yellow oval," I smoothed another clump of frosting, "but when I'm finished, it'll be a dragonfly bunny."

She frowned, registering for a minute before she spoke again.

"How long is it gonna take?"

"Korra," I sighed, "good things take time."

"Ugh, you sound just like Tenzin," she grumbled.

I shrugged, "He's always said that."

"Well I'm tired of hearing it!"

I set my frosting down and crossed my arms, meeting her eyes. I thought she might burst into tears.

"Airbender training is not getting me anywhere! I can't even create enough wind to move paper! How can I be the avatar if I can't control all of the elements—" the words practically spilt from her mouth.

"Tenzin keeps telling me that my skills will come with time, but I need it to happen now! Nothing is happening."

Korra put her head in her hands, "I'm failing as an Avatar."

It took a shorter time than I thought for Korra to tell me what was bothering her; I was making progress with teaching her communication skills.

"Kors," I put my hand on her leg, "you're not failing as an Avatar."

She frowned at me.

"You're strong, brave, determined, and willing to do anything for the people you care about," I grinned, "You're incredible, Avatar Korra."

Her eyes changed as I wrapped my arms around her waist.

"You really think so?" a smile began to play at her lips.

"Of course I do. My girlfriend is the most bad-ass avatar to ever exist."

She looked down at me.

"I wouldn't be able to do it without you, you know," she brushed a strand of hair out of my eyes.

"Oh, I know," I nodded, "without me, you wouldn't get anywhere—"

"Shut up," Korra grinned, "I'm the Avatar."

"You're the Avatar."

I tiptoed up to kiss her on the counter.

"The icing's good, by the way," she mumbled against my lips.

"Thanks. Wait how do you—"

She froze with her finger in the icing jar.

"Korra!"