↠ zuko (1)

in which you get into an argument with zuko II
-
After my conversation with Aang, I knew finding Zuko was what I needed. Avoiding him was beginning to eat at me; not only was he my boyfriend, but he was my best friend. We knew each other better than anyone.

If I knew Zuko, there was one of two things I could find him doing; sulking alone or training it out.

Based on the smoke rising by the edge of camp, I figured it was the latter.

The Fire Prince was hitting melon targets with fireballs and slashing through the air with whips of bright orange.

If he noticed me approaching, he didn't act like it. I leaned against one of the target posts, waiting for him to say something to me, to yell at me for being in his way. He kept to his regimen like I was invisible, aiming at other targets and working around me. His movements were precise and powerful; everything a great Fire Nation warrior was made of.

He'll make a beautiful Firelord.

After a few minutes, I grew tired of being ignored. I countered Zuko's next strike, catching him by surprise.

"I thought you might need a partner," I said, shooting my own fire his direction. It came close, nearly singeing his sleeve.

"It's been too long."

He closed the distance between us easily, relying on his speed to take the upper hand. I threw flames on the ground, creating a circle around us. Soon, we were locked in a dangerous game; we sparred together many times before, and it was always best if no one else was around to act as collateral damage. Zuko and I were both powerful benders, and when we dueled, it was all or nothing.

I tried to kick his legs from underneath him to trip him up, but he knew my tricks. He dodged me without thinking, pushing me back with a wave of heat. I almost fell into the fire circle surrounding us.

"Looks like you need more practice, Y/N," Zuko smirked, "you've lost your game."

I dug my feet into the dirt to regain my balance, and formed a wall between us. I knew he could clear it easily, so I ignited both of my hands, anticipating his attack. When he made it through my barrier, I charged him.

But Zuko was anticipating my moves as well.

He caught my hand, pinned the other behind my back, and held me to him. In that moment, I lost all concentration. His eyes burned into mine like embers.

Those golden eyes.

"You win," I mumbled.

Dark clouds were beginning to loom overhead, and I heard thunder in the distance.

"It looks like it's going to rain," Zuko said, tearing his eyes from mine.

"We should head back to the tent."

He let go of me, freeing my hands.

It began to rain just as we were finishing our silent journey back to camp, and we had to sprint to avoid getting soaked by the sudden downpour. The tent was dim due to the lack of sunlight, and after sitting long enough to catch our breath, Zuko lit candles with a wave of his hand.