↠ sokka (1)

in which you build sandcastles with sokka on ember island
-
"It's like you've never built anything before," Toph giggled, "I can feel your 'castle' in the sand. It's more like a blob."

I internally agreed with her comment as Sokka molded together layers of what looked more like a sand cake than a sand castle.

"It's gonna come together very nicely! Just you watch!" he said, pointing at her.

"I can't watch anything. I'm blind."

"Toph," I laughed, "quit the blind jokes and do your job."

Toph and I were tasked with being the judges in a very intense four way sandcastle building competition between Zuko, Katara, Aang and Sokka. We decided it was best if Toph wasn't allowed to compete; she had been working on her sand bending and could win with no trouble at all. I think Sokka's pitiful attempt at building a sandcastle was amusement enough for her.

"You're so going down," Katara was smack-talking Zuko from her already large sandcastle.

Zuko frowned, "Waterbending is proven to be a lot more useful in this situation than fire!"

Sokka made several rapid trips down to the water, collecting shells and seaweed by the handfuls. I leaned over to Toph.

"I'm gonna go help Sokka," I whispered, "if he loses he'll be devastated."

"We won't let him lose. I have a plan," she smirked.

"Hey babe!" Sokka smiled proudly when he saw me coming toward him. He was sitting next to a pile of collected seaweed in the sand; what he was using it for wasn't clear. "She's looking good so far, huh?"

She was looking horrible.

"Um," I looked at his face, which was practically beaming. I couldn't put that face down, even if it belonged to the worst sandcastle builder to walk Ember Island.

I settled on "Yep, keep up the good work!" and sat near him on the sand.

As Sokka's sandcastle was finally beginning to take some sort of recognizable shape, Zuko and Aang came running our direction.

"She's gone crazy!" Zuko shouted, "run for the hills!"

"She's coming for yours next!" Aang sped past us.

Sokka stood and helped me up from the sand.

"It's Katara! She's going to destroy my sandcastle!"

Please, Katara. Destroy his sandcastle.

Before Sokka could come up with any plan to defend his building, Katara was bending a wave right over it.

"I needed to keep my title as sandcastle queen," she yelled back at him, following Aang and Zuko down to the water.

"Sandy!" Sokka went down on his knees, "I'll never forget you!"

I knelt down beside him.

"I'm so sorry for your loss," I said, "but do you know what I'm even more sorry for?"

"What?" he looked down at me.

"The seaweed in your hair."

"I don't have seaweed in my hair."

I reached behind him and dropped the rest of the seaweed onto his head.

"Now you do."

We laughed as he tackled me onto the sand.

"My sandcastle was the last one standing," he smiled, "so I think that technically means I won."

I kissed his cheek.

"Then congratulations to the cutest sandcastle champion on Ember Island."

Thanks, Toph.

-