↠ zuko (2)

in which zuko proposes to you on a trip to ember island II
-
"There."

I looked at my reflection as Katara finished styling my hair. She had braided small white flowers in a crown around my head, letting the rest of my hair fall naturally. It was beautiful.

I turned to Katara and smiled, "You're the greatest."

"You're perfect," she hugged me, "Zuko and everyone will think so, too."

I glanced down at the coral colored dress I was wearing. It was made of light fabric and the sleeves hung off my shoulders. My white sandals were strapped around my ankles.

Katara frowned, studying my appearance once more.

"You're missing something."

She was right. I felt pretty, but my outfit seemed incomplete. I went to my bags on the other side of the room. When I reached for the one containing my jewelry, a small red box was placed there instead. It was tied with a black bow and a note.

Thank you for being my shining sun.
-Zuko

I opened the box and pulled out a dainty golden necklace. At the end of the chain was a stone swirled with multi-colors. The colors in the stone resembled that of true fire energy, like the style Zuko and Aang learned from the Sun Warriors. I'd always found it especially beautiful, and Zuko captured it perfectly.

It reminds me of you, Zuko had told me once. Beautiful and full of life. You're my sun.

I smiled to myself, and Katara helped me fasten the chain around my neck.

"I'm ready now," I nodded, "but where are we going?"

"You'll see," is all I managed to get out of Katara. She must also be playing in Zuko and Aang's secret game.

I started down the stairs when I noticed another note tied to the bottom banister with a black bow.
I untied the small piece of parchment to find Zuko's perfect handwriting.

Look in the seashells, the note read.
-Zuko

There was a bowl of seashells decorating the table in the dining area, and I crossed the room over to it. Katara was snickering behind me; I was right to be suspicious.

At first, I thought I was faced with ordinary, completely random seashells; there's no shortage of shells on Ember Island. As I sifted through shells of all different sizes and shapes, I noticed one near the bottom of the bowl that stuck out to me.

Out of every shell in the bowl, it was the only one that was a spiral. A small note was tucked away inside it.

Meet me back where it all began.
-Zuko

The spiral.

Zuko and I had our first kiss in the crow's nest on top of the house: which could only be reached by a spiral staircase.

I giggled, looking to Katara.

"He wants me to meet him where we had our first kiss."
-
The breeze coming off the ocean was refreshing on my skin as I climbed the spiral stairs. The stairway was lit by lanterns, and rose petals had been scattered about. I smiled to myself, shaking my head.

What is Zuko doing?

I had been with the now-Firelord for nearly five years, but I was nervous to meet him at the top of the stairs.