xx| 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎 |xx

Start from the beginning

The Director cleared his throat before continuing. "Essentially, she can also pick up on patterns. She can spot the little details that no one else would. To her mind, every person is an algorithm. Some people are more complex in what they do and how they react, but that complexity becomes an algorithm in and of itself. If a person does something that seems too predictable, and they're often unpredictable, that could be a give away.

Of course, there is variation between person to person. Some people may order a steak because they recently started a keto genic diet, or perhaps they're just in the mood. But still, anyone that breaks their usual conventions is someone to take note of. The imposter at the World Leader's Meeting will be a foremost Agent at WAOIC. In order to catch him or her, we have to be able to pick up on that one error, that one detail that the Imposter Agent couldn't have possibly known about who they are impersonating."

The Director returned to his seat, indicating that his spiel was done. The Leaders stared into space or down at the table, trying to sort out the impossible puzzle that the Director had just presented them with. Of course, they all knew this information about Xara. But The Director hoped that reminding the group of the skills needed for the job might spark some ideas on what to do next. Though, he did have an idea of his own. The problem was that it was the absolute last resort, the "in case of emergency plan" that they had been saving for eighteen years. Director Rokmond knew that once the secret weapon was used, there would be no going back.

"So...we need some agent who can notice things like Agent 24, process things like Agent 24, and pick out the correct enemy Agent, like Agent 24," Marcus Cuton, the second in command, stated slowly.

"In order to do that, the replacement needs to know every single person at that meeting well," Simon Inzer, a former impersonator, declared.

"They'd better also have the stamina and poker face, like Agent 24," Ola Rodebaugh chimed in. "We can't have an Agent who will bend to pressure."

"We need an Agent who will take charge," lead Agent Len Burin mused. "After all, they will be heading up the mission."

The Leaders fell silent for a few minutes, except for the light drumming of fingers on the table or feet tapping on the floor.

"It looks like we're going to need a team of Agents," Inga Streater declared at last.

"But even if we do use multiple Agents, can even a team replace Agent 24's skills and expertise?" Simon Inzer questioned.

Once again, the room fell still as they considered the situation. Almost simultaneously, they reached for their mugs of coffee. This job wasn't easy. Their work often consumed every bit of time they had during the day—and sometimes night, too.

The chewing of breakfast foods replaced any chatter that would have normally occurred. No one knew what to think or suggest. Anyway they looked at it, the mission was a dead end.

"You've given us a Herculean task to figure out, Director," Marcus laughed finally. He reached for his mug and took another long sip of coffee. "It's paradoxical. The only one who can replace Xar—um... Agent 24 is Agent 24 herself."

"Which is impossible," Ola finished. "Because she has been captured."

The Director sucked in a breath, preparing himself for what he was about to propose to the council. Once he suggested it, there was no going back. But deep down inside, he knew that it was their only hope.

"I have a solution," he began. The eyes of the Unit Leaders lit up, their posture a little straighter. Even Forest and Juno seemed to change, perhaps supposing that he was intending on rescuing their daughter.