18 - Failed Proof

Hey yall hope you are enjoying the updates. I wanted to let you all know I have a youtube channel and an instagram yall can go check out - DawnsPlaceYT. I have a linktree down in my author info. I hope you all are enjoying this book. 

Asher woke as the car came to an abrupt stop. They were at their homestead and Asher knew what he had to do, he had to fake his love for the family. He was done pretending he was done hiding. He helped get everything inside like a 'man' should do. He doted on Alex apologizing for everything he had ever done wrong, he was worried she was going to find it strange but instead she seemed to be happy.

"What has got you back into your senses love?" Alex asked growing close to him. He froze for a moment then smiled.

"I.. I realized it was futile to fight anymore.. you really do love me."

She smiled and nodded. "You are correct, I do love you!" she grabbed his hand and brought him to look out the window. "All of this is ours."

"Yeah..al-" He stopped she turned to look at him with questions. In the woods he saw something moving, it could just be a deer or it could be something else. Someone else.

This was his chance, he kissed Alex's cheek and pointed forward. "I am going to go find Carter, I think there is someone in the woods." She nodded with a smile, she was hoping this meant he was really changing. He would take this opportunity to kill Carter, or at least wound him. He ran towards Carters home knocking on the door. Valery opened it and cocked her head in question, he never just comes to the door like this especially because Carter was inside.

"Val, where is Carter? I saw someone in the woods. I thought he could help teach me how to kill more effectively."

She scrunched her nose up, then let out a soft sigh, in a hushed tone she grew close to him. "You better know what you are doing, I don't want you dead." He nodded, a blush covering his cheeks.

"I will do my best not to die."

She chuckled and pointed towards the kitchen, he hadn't been inside their home in a while and he quickly noticed the disturbing site. Human skulls lined alone counters, a full skeleton hung beside the mantel like most hunters do with their deers. The most sickening site to him was the human skin laying out to dry. She nodded in solidarity with the disgust.

"Carter, Carter we have to go to the woods, there is someone there. Will you help me kill them?"

Carter looked up handing his daughter to Valery. He smiled then looked Asher over. "This isn't a trick?"

Asher felt his palms grow clammy. "No no not a trick. I promise. I saw someone in the woods I just.. I don't have a lot of practice with it and wanted your guidance." Carter kissed Valery's cheek cooed at his daughter and grabbed two hunting knives, a rope, and Asher's hand.

"Come on then."

Asher smiled, he was going to do this. He looked back to Valery and Avery and nodded with a gulp. "It will all be okay." He mouthed to her as Carter dragged him out of the house. They began to head towards the woods. "Carter It looked like a man in the woods, he looked lost and confused."

"All the better, come on Ash." He shuttered at the nickname but just kept himself smiling. "You know I am really surprised you are so on board for this. What was it just yesterday you were crying over me and Alex sharing you." Asher knew what he had to do, he gulped and clenched his free fist for a moment before he looked up to Carter.

"I was wrong...you both love me a lot and...and I know that this family is who I am to be with. Like you and Alex always say..It was fate." Carter smiled and nodded looking down to him. "You were right, I do love this family..I love you..."

Carter stopped dead in his tracks.

"What?"

Asher gulped. "I love you."

Carter smiled and looked Asher over. "Prove it."

"What?"

"Prove you love me, that guy will be here when we are done. Prove it. Show me how much you love me."

Asher looked at him with panic, he gulped looked him over and kissed Carter without being prompted. Carter smiled. "Thats my boy. Good...good boy Asher." Asher tried not to gag as Carter traced his pants line. Before Carter could go any farther there was a rustle in the woods and a man bloody and bruised stepped out from the bushes. Asher thanked the universe for the chance of them being interrupted. Carter smiled wide slapping Asher on the ass. "Thats such a good boy I thought you were lying to me at first."

Asher gulped as he rushed towards the man, the man slumped forward into his arms. "What happened to you?"

"I fell...fell off the side of the cliff."

Ashers brow furrowed. "How are you still alive?"

"Doesn't matter now Ash, come on bring him to me. Let me see him."

Asher looked to Carter. He really was a monster, he didn't have any care for anyone but himself. "He is hurt Carter."

"I thought you wanted me to teach you?"

"I.. do..I promise..I-"

Carter grew slightly angry at the hesitation he stalked forward shoving Asher out of the way causing the man to fall. "Come here Asher, you little bitch. You need to stop being a baby about shit like this." Asher whimpered as he stood up.

"No no I will do it." He reached for a knife, the man began to panic.

"Wait please..I need medical attention not death..please..please.."

Asher looked him over, he stabbed his arm knowing it wouldn't cause him to bleed out, the man screamed in pain, Asher turned to look at Carter who had a look of distaste. "What is that going to do?"

"I just thoug-"

Carter growled and pulled Asher up by his hair. Asher cried out in pain. "Please Carter..please that hurts."

Carter grabbed his hand placed a knife in it and with as much force as possible brought the knife down on the mans chest. Asher began to tear up as the man began to struggle against the knife. "Stop being a little baby and start really causing some harm Asher. I am not playing around with you anymore. You are a man not a little boy."

Asher looked him over as he tried to keep the tears in. He nodded. "Yes sir...sorry..sorry Carter..."

Carter smiled, Asher wasn't fighting, he was just scared, he was doing his job. He was teaching him to behave.