26: Dream or Nightmare

Asher woke alone, he looked around the room, he blinked a few times realizing why it was so unfamiliar. It was Carter's. He blinked a few more times, last night, it wasn't a dream or nightmare. He slowly reached his hand up to his bite wound, he whimpered and lowered his head. As his eyes trailed down his body he realized he had slept naked, had he fallen asleep rocking Avery?

He jumped up to check on the baby seeing she was not in the crib, he tugged a folded pair of sleeping shorts on himself and went to open the door, the nob didn't turn. He let out a frustrated shout, he began to pull on the door but again, it didn't move. He flopped back on the bed staring up at the ceiling, he eyed the cracks in the ceiling, the smell of cooking eggs and various meats began to waft into the room. He sat back up when he heard the sound of the door knob jiggle.

He was hoping it was Valery, but was met with the tall frame of Carter. "Good morning. Howd you sleep?"

"Okay, this all feels like a dream."

"A good one I hope." Carter replied as he began to walk towards him slowly. Asher sat back slightly, rocking on his palms as Carter finally reached him. Carter tilted his chin up with his thumb planting a soft sweet kiss on his lips, he trailed it up his jawline and nibbled carefully on his ear. "I love you" Carter whispered into his ear as he stepped back. Before Asher could respond Carter was out the door again.

He felt a shiver run up his back, he was not sure weather to feel calm knowing Carter didn't see him as a threat, or be scared with how 'loving' Carter was being. He walked down the stairs following the man he did not know what to call, husband? Brother in law? Boyfriend? Kidnapper with benefits... it was all a blur. He quickly took notice of Avery, she was playing with some toys in a play pin on the floor. He eyed the toys curiously, he was surprised Valery would allow Avery to play with them. It was a rattle, but the handle was made of bone. The leather that held whatever created the shaking noise, he assumed bone and teeth or something similar, was clearly made of human skin.

Avery noticed Asher very quickly, her eyes grew wide and she began to shake the rattle with more intent. He chuckled and quickly scooped her into his arms. "Where's momma?" He asked kissing her cheek. Avery only cooed looking him over as she hit him with the toy, he laughed and took it from her before dropping it underneath the couch. He hated the idea of her growing up in this environment. He turned a corner to the kitchen to see Valery hanging off of Carter, he squinted his eyes curiously as she kissed him, he had pancake batter on his face. She was laughing as he cracked an egg over her head. He gulped, was this all a dream? Why would Valery be happy around him, unless it was an act.

Carter smiled as Carter entered the room. "Ah there he is, and he has our precious princess. Carter took Avery without much fight, Asher tried not to cause any ruckus as the child was taken from his arms. He watched as Valery stepped past him.

"Dont let the pancakes burn!" She shouted as she ran to get the egg out of her hair.

Carter nodded towards the stove at Asher. "Go on." Asher bit his lip and began to work on the food. He eyed the pan of meat on the counter. It clearly had human mixed with bacon. Avery cooed and reached for Asher as he cooked. "How did I get so lucky?" Carter began. "I have this beautiful princess, and two lovers. Your momma is as precious as you are tiny one." Carter cooed kissing her small button nose.

Asher eyed him, why was he being so normal? Carter soon put the child in a highchair and turned his attention towards Asher, he sucked in breath worried something was going to happen that would cause him to be bent over a counter, but instead Carter wrapped his hands around his waist and stayed there as he cooked. "Um..Carter..I gotta flip the pancakes I dont want to get you."

Carter only nodded and stepped away after planting a kiss on the top of his head. Valery came back into the kitchen soon after with her hair wrapped in a towel. "How are my boys?" She asked looking them both over.