Chapter Four

I woke up in a slightly lighter room, one where I could see the person in front of me. Barely.

But I could tell it was the maskless one. They had the same face. Unless this was an identical twin, which seemed unlikely.

"You're awake," he commented, "Do you have a name?"

Unable to make myself say anything, I stayed absolutely silent.

"You're an Enhanced, right?"

They already knew this. They wanted me to talk. What would the Pure Ones want me to do?

This was the enemy. Stay silent.

"If you don't say anything, they will just kill you," the maskless one said, "And they'll kick me out for being too empathetic."

Empathetic. A synonym to human.

"Look, I saved your life back there, so the least you can do is tell me your name."

"Tell me yours," I countered with a strength in my voice I'd never heard before.

The maskless one sighed, "Liam. My name is Liam. Now what is yours?"

"Masha," I replied, scolding myself for giving in.

"Are you an Enhanced?" I nodded, "And are you from the City."

Silence.

"Masha, why do you protect them?" Liam asked, "The ones that kidnapped you and turned you into a soldier. Another one of their mindless drones. A killer."

"They saved me and helped me become a doctor," I fired back, "I don't kill anyone."

Liam frowned, as if trying to process that for a moment, before saying, "So you are from the City. That's the only place they can train a doctor."

I tilted my head to the side, as if confused. I was. Humans were supposed to be dead, and now I was staring straight at one.

"I'm going to need you to describe the city to us."

"What are you going to do?"

Liam frowned again, "What they've been doing to us. Kill them."

"I moved to the outpost a few months ago. In my time there, I have stitched together some pretty horrific injuries. You're telling me that was you?"

Liam walked over to the door and spoke to the guard I assumed was outside, "I need to show her the medical tent."

He grabbed my arm and pulled me along behind him as we walked through the rubble that used to be Earth, and was now a hideout.

"You think those injuries are horrific?" Liam asked as he pushed open a tent flap.

The tent extended across the rest of the room. What I saw inside took my breath away.

Anyone at war would call this a victory. This was no victory. This was men and women and children dying on makeshift beds, bodies stacked at the back, people screaming-

I nearly threw up for the first time in my medical career.

My legs grew weak underneath me, my breathing and heartbeat quickened, and my mind started racing.

I wanted to ask a million questions, but there was only one thing I could think of.

I had to help them.

"Let me help them," I muttered so quietly it took a moment for Liam to realize I was talking to him.

"No way, we can't trust you-"