Negotiations

Beginne am Anfang

Uhtred's eyes were glued to the hulking man on the draft horse, "that is Ubba, the big man." Uhtred said. Alfred turned his gaze to Uhtred quickly, gazing up at him with  a hint of concern " The Chieftain Ubba is with them?" He asked.  the hair on the back of Uhtred's neck stood raised, and he became on high alert the closer Ubba got. "you said he was in the north." Uhtred said to Alfred. " And now he is here" said Alfred with a nod, "this is good," he added. Though Uhtred clenched his jaw, he saw nothing good about it.   Uhtred looked back to Khaana, she seemed calm for the most part, but her eyes would not leave Ubba either.

"what are you thinking?" Uhtred asked her, "that this may not end well." She said. urging Uhtred to take his place near Alfred and the others, who had lined up behind a table in the dimly lit tent, Khaana stood slightly behind and between Uhtred and Leofric, taking to the more shadowed area of the tent, keeping as quiet as she could.  Ubba and Guthrum had dismounted their horses and had been given food and refreshment before being asked to join Alfred and company in the tent.

As Guthrum entered in the tent, licking free the food excess from his fingers, his eyes landed on Uhtred, and nothing dangerous sparked in his eye as well as something sadder, the memory of an old friend lost due to what he assumed was undue mercy towards a Saxon child. Uhtred did not look towards him right away, He needed him to believe he was unconcerned with his presence here. Khaana was grateful for the attention Uhtred was gathering, it made it easier for her to go unnoticed for the moment.

"So, you are Alfred, the King of Wessex?" Guthrum asked, turning a lazy gaze towards Alfred who stood between Uhtred and Beocca. " I am, You are Earl Guthrum?" Alfread asked. Uhtred's eyes shimmered with slight fear as Ubba turned his eyes to him. The  large man's face stiffened and the playfully terrifying grin Ubba usually kept on his face faded away. "yes, if you want peace, you will have to pay." Guthrums aid diving into the negotiations right away. Ubba's  eyes traveled from Uhtred, to Khaana. 

It did not take him long, of course he knew where the Saxon-Dane went, she always followed, vigilantly watching. A hint of a frown formed on Ubba's face, Khaana lifted her head higher to show she had no fear of him, and met his gaze, and his grin slowly returned. 

Alfred heard Guthrum, and his keen gaze flicked over to Ubba quickly, "and you are Earl Ubba? Welcome." He said, still as stone, and unshaken by the Dane leaders. For the first time, Khaana had to admit she was impressed, as even the old warrior Odda, who had seen many foes, and Leofric who stood nearly at Ubba's height seemed wary.

Ubba tore his gaze away from Uhtred and his stolen prize, a wild gaze falling on Alfred "Speak," he said urging Alfred to be done with the niceties. 

Alfred waited little time, " in an agreed amount of Livestock, grain and silver," he started, the secondary priest began to write on book filled with blank parchment, "I propose that you and your ships return to Lundene and remain there." said Alfred.

Guthrum took a seat,  and looked to Alfred as if he'd been daft "I further propose that you confine yourselves to East Anglia, Mercia and Northumbria. Wessex is Saxon and therefore out of bounds for all Danes." Alfred continued looking between Ubba and Guthrum, studying them.

Ubba's eyes narrowed at the little man's gall,  "we only just arrived in Wessex,  we will not be leaving." Guthrum spoke with even tone, he looked to Alfred, clearly unimpressed. "The you shall starve." Alfred replied, not a second missed. Khaana, who's eyes would not leave Ubba, glanced Alfred's way, part of her wondered if he might have practiced this speech in front of Eadgyth all morning. It only took a shift of Ubba's weight to draw back her attention, if he rush she would see it and she would be ready for it. 

Instinctually she took a small step closer to Uhtred as Ubba started to move about the tent, he peered over the paper of which the secondary priest wrote on. "you have  no shelter, little food and a weakened army." Alfred tried to reason, "if you find us weakened, why seek peace?" Guthrum asked. "it is the Christian in me," Alfred said pausing briefly "the will of God." he said. He knew well this would stir them, but to learn what he needed from them he needed to see what got them riled.