Late Night

Leorio POV
I trudged back to Kurapika's apartment. I felt bad for yelling and I was honestly kind of shocked when he continued to let me stay. But why had he apologized first when I was the one that did something wrong? I wasn't mad it just made me feel guilty. Maybe I made him feel like he did something wrong. I didn't want to do that. I shifted my backpack further on my shoulder, getting a better grip. I hope Kurapika didn't mind me bringing a backpack and suitcase. I needed a lot of books for school plus I had my personal belongings. But Kurapika was a good person. Maybe he wouldn't care. I sighed.

Soon enough, the apartment complex came into view. I could see Kurapika's room on the third floor. The door was open and he seemed to be talking to one of his neighbors. I saw him nod. At some point, he balled up his fist as if he were trying not the hurt the older woman. When I reached the floor I could hear a bit of their conversation. "I understand ma'am," Kurapika said. "I am very sorry I assure you it won't happen again. Have a goodnight."

As I walked to the door, the woman walked past me giving me a judging look. I looked at Kurapika who was rubbing his forehead. "That's my neighbor," he said. "She came over to confront me about the noise earlier." I raised my shoulders a bit. "Sorry," I said. He smiled. "It's fine. Bring your stuff inside."

I set my stuff in front of the couch while Kurapika walked to the kitchen.  "Um," I said looking around the room. How could I not realize a child was living here? There were children's toys stacked in the corner next to the tv. The tv stand had shelves on them were all sorts of books. Some of them were children's books and others were probably Kurapika's. Murder mystery, sci-fi, and what looked like romance. Steamy romance.

I walked over and picked up one of the books. "You read these kinds of books," I asked facing the books towards where Kurapika was standing. He looked over at me and his face turned red. "Put that back," he said. "It's private." I chuckled. "Of course it is," I said placing the book back on the shelf. I walked up next to him. "What are you doing," I asked. He didn't look at me but I could tell he was still blushing from the tips of his ears. "I'm cooking dinner," he replied. "I haven't eaten yet and I'm sure you haven't either." I hadn't eaten yet and was thankful he thought of me. "Well," I said. "Thank you for cooking for me as well. What are you making?" "Steak and vegetables," he replied.

Kurapika looked at my stuff by the couch. "Go put your stuff somewhere," he said. "I have an office down the hall put your school stuff in there. I have an empty shelf in there. Anything that normally belongs in the bathroom cabinet you can put it in there. It's the first room on the left."

Kurapika POV

I pulled the peppers out of the fridge. While I cooked Leorio was trying to get his stuff situated. What was I thinking letting him move in? We haven't seen each other in years. How was this going to work out? Things have changed, a lot of things have changed. I'm sure of it. It was a stupid idea letting him come back. To let him back into my life so quickly. But, I did miss him. Quite a lot, maybe even more Gon and Killua.

"Ouch," I said and looked at my finger. I got too lost in my thoughts I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I had sliced my finger and it stung. I sucked on it. "Hey you alright," Leorio asked as he walked back into the living room. I nodded. He walked over. "Let me see," he said grabbing my hand. "It's not that bad," I said. "I just cut my finger." He examined it. "Let's go wash the cut," he said. "I'm fine Leorio," I replied. "Let me continue cooking." He shook his head. "Let's clean it," he insisted. "Then you can cook." I rolled my eyes.

I pulled my hand away from him. "I'll wash it myself," I said and turned on the sink. "Can you get me a band-aid?" He nodded. He was over-dramatic. It was just a little cut. But it was sweet that he cared about me that much. He walked back into the kitchen. "Here's your band-aid," he said. He held it out his hand giving me the band-aid. "Thank you," I said. "Now let me cook. The food might burn."

Leorio didn't leave the kitchen. "It smells good," he said. "What are going to do with the vegetables?"  I looked at him. "Cook them," I replied. "What else would I do?" He sighed. "You're still a bit cold," he said. "I guess some things never change." My face went red again. God, why was I blushing so much?

I took the food off the stove and put it on plates. "Here you go," I said handing Leorio a plate. "Dinner." He smiled and walked to the couch. I put everything in the sink before I sat next to him.

I sat my plate on the coffee table. "So," I said. "Catch me up. What have you been doing these past years?" He shrugged. "Well," he said. "After we left the Zodiacs I got into a good medical school. A better one, actually. I've been doing good in school but I have been lonely. But I'm close to being a doctor. Just one year left in school after this one!" I smiled at him. The way he talked about going to medical school. The glint in his eyes and his smile.

"What have you been doing," Leorio turned to me and asked. I looked at him. "Well," I said leaning back into the couch. "I've been taking care of Woble. Queen Oito gave me some money for a house and stuff for her. But I've been a little short on money lately. I recently got fired." Leorio raised a brow. "Why'd you get fired," he asked. I turned away from him. "I don't wanna talk about it." "Come on tell me!" I turned back. "I picked a fight with the manager," I said.

Leorio smirked. "That sounds a lot like you," he said. "What was the fight about?" I took a bite of my food and shrugged. "I can't quite remember," I said. "But I do remember that I called him a fat motherfuckstick." Leorio laughed. "How can you not remember what it was about," he asked me. I shrugged. "I don't know," I replied. "I remember things that aren't really important and all the details just-" I moved my hand like I was waving someone away.

Leorio and I talked for hours. We talked about things that have been happening. We talked about the past and what we used to do together. It got late but we didn't notice. I really did miss him.