↬ | chapter thirteen

Start from the beginning

   Maybe they weren't the same people from up on the Ark. 

   "I-I'm sorry," Maggie let out a small smile, her mood changing. They were being nice to her! Maybe their time apart made Ella and Aaron come to their senses and change their ways! "I guess it has just been a while."

   "Come here Magnolia," her dad extended his arms, and Maggie realized that they wanted to hug her. 

   With an ounce of hesitation, Maggie lightly wrapped her arms around her father's back, her head pressed against his chest. Her mouth pressed into a thin smile— she felt content in her father's arms. It was safe and inviting— everything she expected it to be. 

   As she pulled away, Magnolia then made her way to Ella Gray, the similar feeling washing over her yet again. This time however, Maggie rested her chin on the shoulder of her mother, due to them being roughly the same height. 

   The eighteen-year-old's eyes closed gently, relief taking over her body. For just a moment, Maggie wasn't worried about surviving, or Jaha killing Bellamy once he got to Earth, or any of it.

   "So naive," the motherly voice whispered derisively in the teenager's ear, taking a step back from her daughter. When Maggie's eyelids opened once again, a small knife with crimson-colored liquid laid at her feet. Her parents were nowhere to be found— she hadn't even heard their footsteps walk away. 

   And then it hit her. She had been stabbed. 

   In a matter of seconds, Maggie's throat tightened, causing her to begin to hyperventilate. Her heart thumping was the only sound that played in her ears, and her hands were shaking terribly. 

   Slowly, her trembling hand makes its way to her chest. Maggie's eyes widen upon the sight; blood dripped down her fingers and ran around her wrist. 

   "Fuck. No!" Maggie shuddered. Without even realizing it at first, she was running. Quickly. Even that was an understatement. As her hands desperately clutched the left side of her chest to prevent the outpour of blood, her dark brown eyes scanned the woods and searched for any sign of Bellamy, or even Clarke. 

   Naive. The word kept repeating itself in her mind, much like a broken record. It was true; Magnolia was constantly being betrayed, but every time, she was blind to it beforehand. She needed to stop putting so much trust into people— she needed to stop referring back to the what ifs

   Breaths came out unevenly as Magnolia ran in what seemed to be circles. Come on, come on, come on. Either of her fellow leaders had to be around there somewhere. Hopefully they could help her before she bled out. 

   After a few minutes or so, the teenager made it to a small clearing where a body laid on the ground limply. The boy was one of the delinquents; even if Maggie hadn't recognized him, the familiar choice of clothing easily gave it away. She saw him around every so often. He was dead. 

   Maggie's eyes traveled along the ground, and she let out a sigh when Bellamy was staring at the deceased body, and Clarke sat up against the thick trunk of a tree. 

   No words could escape her mouth— Magnolia Gray was dying, and the other two didn't seem fazed. Not until she collapsed onto the ground did Bellamy run up to her in concern.